Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Description:
The DC Sports 4-1 one-piece header is a classic design that combines excellent performance with ease of installation. Construction quality is first rate, and installation is seamless. DC Sports utilized Computer Aided Design (CAD) to develop these headers, which are more efficient at scavenging exhaust gasses than the factory stock exhaust manifolds.

- Lightweight Design
- Ceramic Coated 1010 Mild Steel
- CNC machined flanges
- Two year warranty
- CARB exempt

Store Link:
Never Enough Auto 877-609-6727 - Chevrolet :: Cavalier :: 03-05 Cavalier :: Performance & Power :: Exhausts & Headers :: Headers :: DC Sports Ceramic Coated Header #CHC3002

·
Registered
594 Posts
how can I tell if my car has SAI though since I have a 2.2

·
Banned
161 Posts
how can I tell if my car has SAI though since I have a 2.2
there is a tube that runs from your airbox to your exhaust. if you live in cali then you extremely likely to have it

·
Registered
446 Posts
SAI stands for Secondary Air Injection, and is essentially a tube that's connected to the air box and then onto the plastic air pipe itself, I think. So really this is only designed for a 2005 model if its stock, unless you have CAI that doesn't utilize the SAI. 2004 and 2005 models aren't equipped with this, but anything higher is equipped with this. So lucky me, I guess I'll have to look into this since mine is an '05. But one thing I want to know is what is the C.A.R.B. number for this thing, so I can look it up to see if it is exempt.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
DC needs to design a header to become compatible with SAI

·
Registered
178 Posts
sorry to day but it is untrue about all 2005 models have it. there is a thread on here with pics of sai that anyone interested in this mod should look at (to lazy to look for it) my car is a 2007 and i do not have it. they didnt start using sai until 2006 models but not all have it.

SAI stands for Secondary Air Injection, and is essentially a tube that's connected to the air box and then onto the plastic air pipe itself, I think. So really this is only designed for a 2005 model if its stock, unless you have CAI that doesn't utilize the SAI. 2004 and 2005 models aren't equipped with this, but anything higher is equipped with this. So lucky me, I guess I'll have to look into this since mine is an '05. But one thing I want to know is what is the C.A.R.B. number for this thing, so I can look it up to see if it is exempt.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I guess I didn't type the post correctly, but why would it be on 2006 and not a 2007 model?

·
Registered
594 Posts
well I already know I don't have it,since I saw pictures of what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Im pretty sure that late 05's have it and early 06's have it ...then again i could be wrong cause i dont remember

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There are 5 states that have stronger emissions requirements and any year 2.2 Cobalt sold in those states will most likely have SAI. Some 2.2 Cobalts with SAI were sold in states that didn't have these requirements as well.

SAI injects air into the exhaust to aid in burning off hydrocarbons. It is also known by "AIR" Air Injection Reactor -- the old name, been used by GM since 1967 in California.

If you have SAI you will have:
A hose running from the air filter box to a pump located between the engine and radiator. A hose running from the pump to a checkvalve located between the valve cover and firewall. The check valve is mounted to the top of a welded-steel exhaust manifold. If you take the exhaust manifold off you will see that it has an air passageway to allow air from the checkvalve to enter each exhaust port.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Good info...so there is something on the header that the SAI does hook up to?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Good info...so there is something on the header that the SAI does hook up to?
If you want to get technical, the SAI exhaust manifold looks more like a "header" then a cast-iron manifold. No one makes an aftermarket header that the SAI check valve fits on.

There is a way for the dealer to turn off (disable) the SAI (it is done the same way the dealer can install 16" wheels and enable the 16" wheels in the ECM) -- then you could remove all the SAI sh...tuff and install a cast iron manifold or header -- IF you can get the dealer to do it -- probably warranty issues if you do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.