Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I decided to de-trim and it went fine but the bug and tar remover really isn't getting the leftover tape off. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I used a LOT of goo-gone. Just let it soak and carefully used my nails to scrape/peel it off. Then cleaned her up and polished the doors where the molding was.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i waited about a minute to two minutes. then i wiped, put a little muscle behind it. see if that works...

edit: did you shake the bottle? don't know if that helps or not but yeah....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol yeah i shook it a little. Well now that I've tried using the bug and tar remover, the surface feels too waxy and i dont think its working any more.

·
Registered
310 Posts
when i was doing mine, it was a lot easier to take it off using my nail when it was hot or really warm. then after i took off as much as i can i used the bug and tar remover.

maybe heating it back up will help out...?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I tried that on one part but it was already kind of waxed in. Il try that on the rest of it. Il give the goo gone a try if nothing else works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I finally got it all off :bigsmile: I let the bug and tar remover soak in for about 10-15 mins and then scrubbed hard and used my finger nails. Check the pics!!

Before

After

·
Registered
610 Posts
see we knew you could do it. for anyone else having problems "detrimming" their balt, i sprayed the leftover tape with bug and tar remover and i let it sit for a couple minutes. then i took a towel and basically scrubbed it vertically until some of it came off. then i just started rubbing the rest off with my thumb and whala, all gone :laugh:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I used Bug and Tar Remover and it worked just fine. Spray it on, let it sit for a couple minutes and it should wipe most of it right off. You may have to use some elbow grease to get tough spots off, but shouldn't be difficult. Helps if you do it in the sun as well so it gets warm/tacky. Or you can use a heat gun/hair dryer. I used a dual temp heat gun and got all of my badges and pin striping off in minutes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, everyone's advice helped a lot. This was my first mod of any kind, its my first car too so I'm really proud of myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.