Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my ls in to get a bad control arm bushing replaced this morning, and 5 hours later, I get a call back from the service department telling me "your car doesnt use control arm bushings in the front." which I know is BS since I had a family friend who has been building racecars for years take a look at it first, and he showed me where the bushing was cracked.

Anyway, its been there for 7 hours now, and if they can't figure it out in the next hour or so I am going to pick it up since I need transportation and can't let them keep it overnight. In that case, I will get the bushings myself and bring it to my friends shop.

Sorry for the rant, but if anyone knows the part number for a FE1 control arm bushing I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Just go to the parts department and get the number from them and go to the service department and show them. I have had the same thing excpet with the fuel filter, the dealer in 3 different cities thought ours were in the tank.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I'll do that. You'd think the service department would communicate with the parts department or at least look it up so these kind of things wouldnt happen.
I think Im just going to end up getting the bushing myself and bringing it to my friends shop either way, since it will cost me a hell of a lot less that way

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I dont blame you, if I had a camaro that would be my priority as well haha. What year is it?

Edit: Dealership finally called back, told me exactly what I told them when I brought it in only they are charging me $120 to tell me. The price to replace the bushings is over $529, which I am definetly not paying to replace two $30 peices of rubber.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Just go to the parts department and get the number from them and go to the service department and show them. I have had the same thing excpet with the fuel filter, the dealer in 3 different cities thought ours were in the tank.
I had to do something just like that when i took my car in for the oil change. I asked the service department about the GMS1 upgrade for my car and they were like what? So then b4 i went over into the parts department i google the part number and went into the parts department an asked them the same thing. I saw the guy get on his computer type in some stuff and was like "i dont see anything on here for your car". I just laughed to myself and said ok look up this part number... Seems like magic how all of a sudden stuff popped up on that computer screen. I just left after that, i knew i didnt wanna get it but was curious if they knew anything about it an i got my answer.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I went in to get my coolant bypass hose replaced and they wanted 160 for it. I regrettably paid, but only to find out they used a universal hose that sticks out and looks horrible. So I called and flipped out and made that dealership my *****. And I got my ****in money back lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they ended up charging me 65 instead of 120 when I picked it up, since I already knew everything they told me before they looked at the car. Still too much in my opinion, but its better than 120. From now on, unless its something huge, Im doing all my own work on my balt

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
they ended up charging me 65 instead of 120 when I picked it up, since I already knew everything they told me before they looked at the car. Still too much in my opinion, but its better than 120. From now on, unless its something huge, Im doing all my own work on my balt
This. Period. You should always do your own work. 1) because 99.999% of the time its cheaper. 2) because you know what parts are going into your car 3) The more you work on your car the easier it will be for you to trouble shoot problems down the road and finally 4) When everything gets ****ed up you have no one to blame but yourself lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I should have done it myself in the first place but I was just going for convienence since I dont have the equiptment at my place and my friends shop is about 45 minutes away.
at least when I blame myself for messing something up, I know WHAT I messed up and why lol

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I know how you feel, sometimes its just too much to work on it yourself, but 90% of the time you'll regret taking it to a shop. Other than things like alignments and recalls I've only taken any of my cars to a shop once and I regretted it. I had a bad wheel bearing in my last car and didn't have the correct torx bit to disassemble it myself (even looked at a few stores no one had the right size) so I took it to a shop across the road from my apartment and was quoted 300 bux or so. Also said it would be ready to pick up in 2 days. First I get a call saying that my brakes need replacing will I give them permission to change my brakes? I said no, I can do that myself. They try to argue with me and I say No, I can do that myself, just change the bearing please. So 5 days after the 2 days they quoted me (7 days total) they say my car is ready. So I cruise over to get my car and lo and behold the changed my brakes. The total charge came out to about 700 dollars. I say I didn't authorize this wtf did you change my brakes? They said its company policy that they cannot return a vehicle to the owner if it has a blatant safety problem like worn brake pads. For the record they weren't even squeaking yet.
So I told them that the max I am capable of paying is 400 bux. That's it. I had no more extra money. They said they would take that for now but I wouldn't be able to get my car till I paid the difference. So after a couple hours of argueing and making threats I finally got my car back for 400 bux.
And this is the kicker. 2 weeks later my brakes started squeaking. They didn't even touch my brakes.

That was the first and last time I've ever taken my car into a garage.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah I dont blame you, if I had a camaro that would be my priority as well haha. What year is it?

Edit: Dealership finally called back, told me exactly what I told them when I brought it in only they are charging me $120 to tell me. The price to replace the bushings is over $529, which I am definetly not paying to replace two $30 peices of rubber.
$529? You can get entire new control arms for a little more than that

I know how you feel, sometimes its just too much to work on it yourself, but 90% of the time you'll regret taking it to a shop. Other than things like alignments and recalls I've only taken any of my cars to a shop once and I regretted it. I had a bad wheel bearing in my last car and didn't have the correct torx bit to disassemble it myself (even looked at a few stores no one had the right size) so I took it to a shop across the road from my apartment and was quoted 300 bux or so. Also said it would be ready to pick up in 2 days. First I get a call saying that my brakes need replacing will I give them permission to change my brakes? I said no, I can do that myself. They try to argue with me and I say No, I can do that myself, just change the bearing please. So 5 days after the 2 days they quoted me (7 days total) they say my car is ready. So I cruise over to get my car and lo and behold the changed my brakes. The total charge came out to about 700 dollars. I say I didn't authorize this wtf did you change my brakes? They said its company policy that they cannot return a vehicle to the owner if it has a blatant safety problem like worn brake pads. For the record they weren't even squeaking yet.
So I told them that the max I am capable of paying is 400 bux. That's it. I had no more extra money. They said they would take that for now but I wouldn't be able to get my car till I paid the difference. So after a couple hours of argueing and making threats I finally got my car back for 400 bux.
And this is the kicker. 2 weeks later my brakes started squeaking. They didn't even touch my brakes.

That was the first and last time I've ever taken my car into a garage.
Jeez, I hope you reported them to the BBB

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve, I could get FE5 control arms plus an alignment for that price, and probably still have some left over depending on shipping!

and Agita_san, that sucks, I would have definetly reported that to the BBB and maybe tried to sue for that

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Yeah I reported them, unfortunately I didn't have anything in black and white saying that I didn't give them permission to work on my brakes so it would have come down to my word against theirs. I just chocked it up to a lesson learned and have made it my personal mission to discourage anyone from ever taking their car to a garage :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
Steve, I could get FE5 control arms plus an alignment for that price, and probably still have some left over depending on shipping!

and Agita_san, that sucks, I would have definetly reported that to the BBB and maybe tried to sue for that
I'm still thinking of putting the FE5 control arms on my LT and see if it helps any. Noone seems to know why my Balt rides like ass.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm in a similar spot, I want the control arm bushings replaced, don't want to pay a shop to do it but don't know where to get new ones. Preferably better ones than stock. Also don't know how to do it atm. And there's no DIY for it either. If I get around to switching them I'll put up a DIY, but that's a big if.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.