Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this thread is a bit on the general side, so all you auto body and detailer guys chime in to discuss what the best methods are for scratch repair. Here is my specific scenario..

Over in our last snow storm, I needed to pick my folks up from the airport using my dad's pimpmobile 05 Astro van. I told my bro to go clear the snow off of the windows so we could drive out.. Well, he used the ice scraper EVERYWHERE and scratched the clear coat pretty good. In one spot or two, he chipped it down to the base coat. So my pops wants to sell the van, which means my bro needs to fix it.

Hes been looking through forums and whatnot as to the best way to remove such scratches, but what would you guys do? So far, it looks like-

Wet sand with 2000 grit till the scratch is gone.
Apply rubbing compound, rub that in till its all gone.
Use wax to protect and get the shine back.

Discuss!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
rub? get a wheel unless you want tons of wet sanding marks.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

if you can drag your nail over the scratch and your nail hangs up on it, you're not getting it out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
x2

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol yeah I figured its a lost cause without a buff wheel. Yeah, some of the scratches are pretty bad. Idk how my dad plans on fixing it up, my bro is 26 and a certified dumbass.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
When someone keyed the G5, I put in touchup paint in small amounts letting it build up, then wetsanded, buffed, then put on clear, sanded and buffed. You could still see it faintly, but it wasn't a glaring flaw unless you were looking for it.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
what Nighthawk said. it can be done that way and it won't look perfect but much better than it does now and way way cheaper than having it fixed the correct way.

I've done that to cars at work when the sales department wants to go the cheap route

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
ouch drift lol. yes that would be a colorado or if it's GMC it's a Canyon. how bad? pics? I've burned paint on the edge of a hood before. never in the middle of a panel though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i burned the paint wth a wheel on a brand new chevy colorado? idk i forgot but it's the new s10.
I bet you were using a rotary buffer. I don't reccommend those for the average person doing buffing work on their own cars since it is easy to damage paint with one. Personally, one should use a random orbital buffer such as the Porter Cable 7424. They're pretty fool proof.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Here's my 2 cents since I buff cars/trucks/semi's all the time.

If your gonna wet sand you need a buffer hands down. As drift said with the running your nail across the scratch, if you can feel below the paint your f*****. And buffing is not for everyone if you want it to look good take it to a detailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.