Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

What is the best brand Timing Chain you would use?

• AutoZone's Duralast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Car Quest/Advance Auto parts' Cloyes Gear

• Parts Geek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would cause the small rollers to break like this? 2008 LS with 30k since last time I rebuilt the engine to include replacing the chains. I don't remember the brand.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior
Coil Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Rim

·
Registered
575 Posts
The last timing chain set I did was on a Ford 5.4 liter. I had ordered a Cloyes set. But ended up sending it back finding out it was made in China. I did end up using a Melling set. I have used many items from Melling over the years and it seemed to be a favorite of engine builders when I sold parts. As far as the timing set for the Ford engine from them, it was made in the USA.

I would personally use the Melling set when it comes time to replace the timing chain and components on my Cobalt. I can’t say I’ve ever had anything from this company have to be replaced under warranty after installation, so there’s that that makes me want to use them.

As far as the rollers, not sure. I don’t really specialize in engine work, so I don’t constantly do it. But have done my fair share of timing chains. And I can think of a few things. Possibly an oiling problem. It could just be plain wear and tear. You don’t say how many miles the engine has on it. But if you’re pushing 200k miles, it is usually recommended to have replaced it some time back. Could be defective. Maybe just shit luck. But I would say it may have been past due for a replacement. I don’t look forward to replacing mine. But I would much rather do it than replace the engine. I can afford a timing chain set easily. Not so much a complete engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last timing chain set I did was on a Ford 5.4 liter. I had ordered a Cloyes set. But ended up sending it back finding out it was made in China. I did end up using a Melling set. I have used many items from Melling over the years and it seemed to be a favorite of engine builders when I sold parts. As far as the timing set for the Ford engine from them, it was made in the USA.

I would personally use the Melling set when it comes time to replace the timing chain and components on my Cobalt. I can’t say I’ve ever had anything from this company have to be replaced under warranty after installation, so there’s that that makes me want to use them.

As far as the rollers, not sure. I don’t really specialize in engine work, so I don’t constantly do it. But have done my fair share of timing chains. And I can think of a few things. Possibly an oiling problem. It could just be plain wear and tear. You don’t say how many miles the engine has on it. But if you’re pushing 200k miles, it is usually recommended to have replaced it some time back. Could be defective. Maybe just shit luck. But I would say it may have been past due for a replacement. I don’t look forward to replacing mine. But I would much rather do it than replace the engine. I can afford a timing chain set easily. Not so much a complete engine.
It's a 2008 and has only 30k since I rebuilt the engine to include timing chains and gears. I don't remember the brand I used.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can’t say I’ve ever had a failure with a chain like this. I have only ever used either OEM replacements, Cloyes, and Melling. Melling being the one I’d trust. I have seen many “off brand” ones available. I have always wondered if the quality was sub par compared to name brand.

I assume oil wasn’t penetrating the chain. Something caused excessive friction. And it being so new, that seems to be what comes to mind. I know most chains have a tube that oils the chain. It is possible it’s dislodged, clogged, or disturbed and was accidentally moved. It’s been a while since I’ve had an Ecotec apart so I can’t say for sure about the oiler.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Unless he ran the engine without oil...I don’t think so, that chain Is coated in oil most all the time. So my opinion is not due to lack of lube. 30k miles on the chain to me is a bad batch of metal. Defective rollers....
It may have been sourced from a low volume bicycle chain supplier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts