Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....when it comes to the snow...damn traction control made me bog down to a stop and got stuck here:

So pathetic! Luckily I obviously wasn't the only one stuck so my ego isn't as hurt. I have a service traction light on my dic and my abs light is on now :notrust:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like the guys with the SUV to your right were already setting up the tent and fire lol.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
That sucks, when we got snow, more ice I got stuck on a hill going up cause the douche infront purposely slowed down to where i had to stop and get going again, no good with performance tires. After a couple mins of going to side to side with the wheels it began to move and I got going again. I was hoping to see the jackass up the road in a ditch so I could kick him in the neck lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
No TCS FTW !! Now that I think of it, we only had 2-3 days where the snow actually covered the roads up here in Ottawa. So much for winter tires lol.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
So glad I have a pure base model with none of that fancy crap. How long were you stuck when you took the pic?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
....when it comes to the snow...damn traction control made me bog down to a stop and got stuck here:

So pathetic! Luckily I obviously wasn't the only one stuck so my ego isn't as hurt. I have a service traction light on my dic and my abs light is on now :notrust:
That should not have acted like that,,, especially with the service lights on. Definite problem with that,, that caused your problem. See your dealer.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Damn I went up a hill today that was used for sledding. Couldn't do it in D, got stuck. So I throw it in reverse, move about a foot, put it in L, made it up the hill. Was pretty fun actually. But yea sucks you got stuck in that little bit of snow

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Explain "snow"

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
we have are first big snow here in colorado and too bad I have to work tonight, Hopefully th roads will be clear by then cuz I have my stock summer tires on. You cant turn off the traction control ? I can do that in main!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Badbate, Sorry you had your trouble, but I don't think the traction control should have caused that. I wonder if there is something in the system that needs repairing. Also, on my 2010 2LT cobalt I can turn off the traction control. In fact,(and I may be wrong) I think as soon as I lift the emer. brake handle just a tiny bit the display says "Traction Control Off". I always thought if I needed to in a hurry I would do that, but not enough to apply the brake.
Good luck with all, and Happy New Year to ya.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Haha alright here's the lowdown for ya'll:

Obviously this wasn't the storm of the century and was a relatively small accumilation (3-5") by Colorado standards. I got stuck here because some girl in front of me with a 2WD Ranger was doing the moonwalk with her rear tires, so naturally I had to stop. If not for that I would have had no trouble. Thus why it seems kind of pathetic to have gotten stuck where I did. The problem lies with trying to get moving again...let me attempt to break it down:

To the best of my knowledge I don't have a button to disable the traction control. I can tug the e-brake slightly, or put it in first, this cause's the DIC to display 'traction off' and the no traction symbol to illuminate. However, in first, when I rev above 4500rpm or so the ECU will cut power until about 1500rpm or until I regain traction (sometime's that's just off idle). I've always assumed this was a natural event and that my traction control wasn't truely 100% disabled even though the DIC stated so. Perhap's for warranty or safety reason's? Or do I have a trip to the dealer ahead of me?

With that said, this was the case when tried to get going again...nothing but bogging and no power being applied to the wheels, in any gear but especially in 'D'. This went on until finally my DIC read 'Service Traction' and my ABS light came on...I decided to ease up after that lol. Anyway I started her up today and no lights are on. I'm assuming I had too much snow on a sensor or it got too cold? Whatever can fix itself can break itself so i'm scheduling a diagnostic at the dealer here soon. Hopefuly this help's to answer everyone's question's lol.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
My 2010 XFE does the same thing, when there is light snow on the ground, I always decide to play in it, if I give it a little gas and the tires start to spin allot the engine cuts off until the tac hits 1500 rpm and will then allow to to give throttle again. Now i have been doing research on this because for allot of different makes and models of vehicles this is a standard feature of fuel cutoff when traction is lost. My boss has a Hyundai Sonata and I had driven it in the snow last winter a few times and it did this to me allot.

My XFE does the exact same thing as his Hyundai and his car comes factory equipped with this fuel cutoff. So I'm wondering if our cars have this and it is just the fact that no one has know about it? I don't know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we have are first big snow here in colorado and too bad I have to work tonight, Hopefully th roads will be clear by then cuz I have my stock summer tires on. You cant turn off the traction control ? I can do that in main!
What part of CO are you in? Btw nice ride!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey fellow Coloradan!
Sorry to hear you got stuck in the snow.
I was out of town myself, just got back today so I missed all the fun.
My name is Adrian and you should check out our local Cobalt car club:
Rocky Mountain Ecotec - Index
my sn there is v8this. We need more members!
Create a sign-in, it's free.
We meet regularly and do fun cruises. We were just in the Springs in December!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey fellow Coloradan!
Sorry to hear you got stuck in the snow.
I was out of town myself, just got back today so I missed all the fun.
My name is Adrian and you should check out our local Cobalt car club:
Rocky Mountain Ecotec - Index
my sn there is v8this. We need more members!
Create a sign-in, it's free.
We meet regularly and do fun cruises. We were just in the Springs in December!
Thanks...sounds fun i'll take a look and see what's up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.