Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my oil on Monday, full synthetic with a conventional filter (oops) and I noticed I've been tripping my now famous P0171 code. Often. Comes around almost as fast as I can erase it in fact. So today it came on again and I decided I had enough. Got home, popped the hood and had a look...

The darn valve cover cap is missing! I had forgotten to screw it back on after my oil change.

Good news is there doesn't appear to be any oil where it shouldn't be as the engine bay still looks dry. I'll take a look in the morning and check the dipstick while she's cold. Now I'll have to go hunting for a replacement cap while wondering if air flowing around the valve train (and into the cylinders?) will throw that code and if it's safe to drive. Uhg. Really not impressed with myself right now.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Heh, I may have graduated from a 15 month auto mechanics course and worked for Honda for a couple of weeks on stage, but I'm a pro at making dumb mistakes lol

Update: Now that the sun's out, I checked the dipstick, didn't seem to lose any oil. AND guess what I found caught up between my rack & pinion and an engine mount? An oil filler cap! :D Lucky me.

I kissed the cap before screwing it back on. It tasted awful.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You should maybe buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Better check that cap and see if it's really yours. Kinda like when all the police and firefighters were out in that field looking for John Wayne Bobbit's junk that his wife cut off. They found one and the doctors sewed it on but you know, I always wondered..... What if they really found the WRONG one?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Better check that cap and see if it's really yours. Kinda like when all the police and firefighters were out in that field looking for John Wayne Bobbit's junk that his wife cut off. They found one and the doctors sewed it on but you know, I always wondered..... What if they really found the WRONG one?
Lol if that's the case then there's a bigger problem then some cut off junk.. that field has some kind of burglar looking for man parts

2005 cobalt base model coupe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.