Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I detailed my balt yesterday and the girlfriend got jealous and reminded me that I have been promising her to detail her car so I felt inclined to do so.

well our home town got new roads everywhere so of course her car was covered in tar. I mean the front and rear bumpers, hood, trunk, fenders, both sides of the car, inside the door jams, and mainly the lower rocker panels.

Had a brand new bottle of bug and tar remover....well lets just say that is about gone.

I first washed the car and dried it
Then took off all of the tar and grim
Re washed the car and dried it
Clay bar'd the whole car
Re washed and dried it
Compounded all the stratches she has been complaining about
Then I Waxed the car
Cleaned door jams, inside the gas door, hood and trunk jams
Cleaned windows
cleaned hub caps and tire shine
last did a quick engine bay detail

All I have left to do is the interior but I ran out of time

Cell phone pics are not that good but I hope everyone can kinda tell how clean it came out

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks yc ! ! !

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
used to detail cars myself, got to be more of a pain and not worth the money. After abit I kept getting "I can get my car done for alittle more but faster." Finally I just started to get nasty back at my customers and would reply "yea, than go ahead, I am just one person and really not making as much as you think so go ahead and have a bigger place do it, probably not fully care like I do."

Some cars were not bad at all but most of the time I got people who seemed to never take care of their car and expect a job that would cost like 5x as much as I was charging at some place that had man power and such. I remember spending 9hrs on a f250 one day. I went and picked up his truck at his work, left him my car though I hoped I would of been done before he got off work but his was so bad that when he got to my place I still hadn't fully finished. All for 65 bucks! Got to the point were I would barely make out on some deals after factoring in the products I had to resupply so I said screw it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know exaclty how u feel. I detailed my old boss's eclipse a long time ago. Covered in dog hair, hay/straw from her yard,cigarettes, and just nasty old food spills. I spent all day on the car and then delivered it back to her. she handed me 40 bucks after I told her how much time and the amount of my products I had to use. I didnt want to over charge her just wanted a resonable amount paid to me. well after that it was never the same at work. I started to realize how cheap she was. It was like a $100 at least job. but I got screwed. Havnt done detailing for a customer since.

I dont mind it bc I love how I can get a vehicle to look when I am done. I mean I am no professional detailer and I am the 1st to admit I am still learning w/ products and the process for paint correction.

My gf just paid off her car and she was excited not to have anymore payments and interest so I felt like this was a good way to make the car new again for her to enjoy. the paint is soo smooth. I need to go over the car fixing paint chips adn deep scratches with duplicolor but that is another weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
yea, I love to detail a car too but not for business and I am used to long hours, heck, just washing the balt and doing a basic cleaning I can spend about 2-4 hrs. On occasion I get a friend asking me to do one though. I would probably enjoy it more if I had a garage to myself with A/C, cause doing a detail in 90* plus weather sucks haha. We do have a big garage here BUT its full of crap and a truck we are rebuilding and its my dads, heaven forbid I ask to use one side if it aint for one of my cars lol.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Looks good! I used to have that car in silver. So god damn slow. But lasts long...
Hope she'll keep it somewhat clean man. And hope she reruns the favor for you!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good! I used to have that car in silver. So god damn slow. But lasts long...
Hope she'll keep it somewhat clean man. And hope she reruns the favor for you!
Ya it is pretty slow but it is a great reliable dd for her. Treated her well so far. All I have had to do since she has had it was a battery, alternator, brakes, and a wheel stud.

She is the second owner so she is not complainin yet lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.