Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since its about my cobalt and others who purchased theirs in 09 i figured i could post this here, but have no objections of being moved...anywho..

So i was watching the news before punching in for work the other day and a story about a tax rebate for "most" new cars bought between Feb 17 and Dec something in 2009 are eligible for a tax rebate that has to filed on a separate income tax form or whatever. Had no idea about this thing until I heard about it, so my question is has anyone else heard about the rebate (and im not talking about the cash for clunkers thing), this "act" or whatever is supposedly called the "American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009." I figure since I couldn't qualify for the "Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act of 2009,"
otherwise known as the Cash for clunkers, I might be able to participate in this one, and yes my car was purchased after Feb 17 2009 lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the article said something about a new car after feb 17 09, but im not sure if it has to be a "new" car like showroom new.

makes me wonder if theres a tax accountant on this site lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
The tax rebate is for buying a brand new car. Not a new used car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well at least mine was new, i think i bought her at 16 miles =)

Do you know anything about this rebate?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Im curious if Canada has the same thing. would be nice

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was/is part of Obama's so called "stimulus" package/bill or whatever. But who knows you might get lucky

·
Registered
821 Posts
LULZ TO THE LAST COMMENT!

Comments
Jul 22, 2009 4:45 PM
Lena Gott :
For more information about this topic, visit my complete article list here (copy and paste this URL into your browser): Articles written by Lena Gott
Aug 5, 2009 6:37 AM
Guest :
I feel this is very unfair, in that if you don't have a vehicle to turn in, you can't be part of this incentive. When I first heard about it, i thought you can go to any dealer to purchase a new 2009 of your choice, and have $2500 knocked off of the price. Now, I'm learning that I can't get my son a vehicle using this incentive unless I turn in a car. I don't have a vehicle to turn in. This program does not include everyone. It is very unfair.
Aug 5, 2009 4:36 PM
Guest :
I totally agree with what you said. If it is good for one it should b e good for the rest. I too feel that I'm at a loss here. Very disgraceful that they didn't notice or do anything about this...Shame on them..
Aug 11, 2009 8:11 PM
Guest :
I feel that it is unfair that there is a year limit to the cars that can be turned in. My only car is a 1980 model and I don't feel that it is fair that I don't meet the requirements just due to the fact that I havn't upgraded to a newer model to trade in.
Aug 20, 2009 11:30 AM
Guest :
I'm in agreement that this program seems to really exclude those of us who really need a new car, but don't meet the requirements in this program. Seems that this program is aimed for the middle class again, leaving the rest of us in the lower income brackets to remain stuck where we are with our clunkers.
Aug 22, 2009 2:49 PM
Guest :
quit your complaining. maybe if you guys werent poor, youd be able to buy a car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quit your complaining. maybe if you guys werent poor, youd be able to buy a car.
right? lol

like the one person on there complaining about how she didn't have a vehicle owned for over a year before the cash 4 clunkers deal and said it was unfair, well NO shit its put in place to prevent people from buying a $100 shit can and basically trading it in for $4000 or whatever amount. I should know, I tried to do it! lol

i think all of our airbags, safety seals and disinfectants have prevented Darwinism from weeding out the "weaker and less competent" humans, and have left us a plethora of idiots in which we encounter throughout our day haha

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i hope thats true cuz i bought mine brand new in august...but i also did cash for clunkers so would i still qualify for that thing?
if your within the time frame you'll be applicable for it, they are two different programs, i don't see why participation in one would exclude you from the other. Im trying to find out more about the tax rebate bill/act myself

apparently my mom knows a tax accountant/guy

·
Registered
280 Posts
I also believe that the tax rebate is only up to $1500 in taxes back. So if your taxes were $2000, you are only eligible for $1500. I knew about this a while ago when I was buying the car in June, but I didn't know HOW I got the money.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Not sure how true it is but I heard that anyone who used the cash for clunker would be in for a W2 at the end of the year. What ever you got for your old clunker is called income by the IRS. So if you get $1500 back as a refund it is income and you will have to pay tax on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.