Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i would like to know what do you guys use to solve the dimming lights problem if you have it. I have 4 speaker amplified @ 75rms each and a 350rms subwoofer so it totals 650rms and every time the bass hits, the lights are dimming very badly. I have the stock 600 CCA battery and two 1 farad capacitors and it still dims a lot. So i would like to know what do you propose to solve this. Change the alternator to put a bigger one, or a bigger capacitor or just a bigger battery.
Thanks

Martin

edit : 650rms at the amps output, my sub is a 375rms and the speaker are 100 (6x9) & 80(6.5) and im running the sub at 350 and the speaker at 75 each.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Run a relay maybe? Second battery? Or... just turn down the bass on the amp so it doesn't draw so many amps. When I had my system in my old car, I had two amps, 1500 watt and 200 watt. The 1500 watt was going to my two kicker L7's that were rated 1500 rms per speaker and the 200 watt was going to my two kenwood 6x9's which were rated 300 rms each. If I turned the volume up too high, the system would suck much more power and my lights would dim each pound. When I kept it reasonable the lights didn't dim at all. I also had a 1.6 Farad cap. Anything pass volume 18 lights dimmed, 17 was my best setting. I also upgraded my alternator. I don't know if that actually help though because I still had the same problems.

^ A lot of rambling but maybe you can find something useful out of it?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
optima yellow top battery then a bigger alt then a cap.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
ok, get a good deep cell battery meant for car audio. optima isnt an actual car audio battery, just a better battery. Shuriken or Kinetik, thats who i'd go with. then get a high output alternator. the caps arent helping you much because its pulling the power off your battery and once the cap's energy is empty it pulls off more power from the battery to "re-fill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.