Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a set of Ksport lowering springs that i purchased from NeverEnoughAuto. Everything went relatively smoothly, and it only took a total of 3 hours!!!!

Materials:
2 jack stands
1 floor jack
1/2 in. air impact wrench
socket set
torque wrench
flat head screw driver
strut spring commpressor kit from Autozone
#45 TORX bit
offset STRUT SOCKET or 21mm O2 sensor socket

The Haynes repair manual called for a offset strut socket for the removal of the strut bolt....i was luckely able to work around this by use of the 21mm, O2 sensor socket because the sensor socket has a cut-out that enabled me to insert the TORX bit and stop the strut from turning......to save time and frustration, be sure to buy or borrow the offset socket before u remove the whole flippin front end assemblies.

First of all, chock the rear wheels, set the E-Brake, and loosen the lug nuts on the front tires. Jack up the front end and rest on JACK STANDS ( for your safety use jack stands)

Remove front tires.

Remove the three strut bolts located under the hood.

Now remove the one Staballizer Bar bolt that is attached to the strut above the rotors.

Mark locating lines on the strut bar "knuckle assembly" to aid reintallation(pic Below)

Remove the two bolts holding the strut to the front wheel assembly. Pull the strut assembly out.

Support the rotor/axel to relieve the stress on the brake lines.

Now use the spring compressor to compress old springs until they wiggle in the strut assembly

THE HARD PART is loosening the strut assembly nut on top of strut. Use the #45 TORX bit to stop strut from rotating, use the offset strut wrench(or in my case the 21mm O2 sensor socket) to loosen the nut.

Remove old spring, compress new spring. Reassemble strut.

Reinstall strut assembly, torque bolts to manufacturer's recommended levels.

The Rear end is WAY easier!

chock the front wheels, loosen the tire lug nuts, jack up the rear end and support with jack stands. Remove rear wheels.

Remove brake line bracket retainer clip on trailing arm to free up brake line.(see pic)

With a support jack under the rear axle remove the one shock absorber bolt

slowly lower axle to release spring tension.......remove old spring

The old spring has a top and bottom cap that u must use on new springs, make note which is top/bottom

With the top and bottom caps on the new springs, reinstall them.

Lift the axle up and reattach the shock absorber bolt.

Re-attach the brake line retainer clip

Re-attach wheels

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I guess what I used in place of the offset socket was like yours, a socket with a bolt like end, (yeah just looked it up, same as yours only with out the cutout on the side) so I used a box wrench to hold it and put the torx in the top. Nice drop, car looks great!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually if you loosen the top strut nut before you jack up the car,
that nut will come off much easier !
No need to hold anything from turning.

Just a thought, and it does work nice.
Thats a great idea!!!!! it would have saved me an hour or so!!!!

1)The ride is bumpier......no rear end bounce when i drive over speed bumps

2)Im getting an alignment tomorrow, u can see the rear wheels are off a little

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good wright up bro. looks awsome!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
HAhaha nicee ^^^

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice 'How to'. Thank you for your time and effort!

·
Registered
124 Posts
now is the spring commpressor only used to get the stock springs off? cuz i have cut stock springs and i think theyll come off without it.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
NO, you'll need to compress the new springs also.
definitely need them for installing new ones. but i didnt use them to take apart. i fully unscrewed the 21 mm on the top. supported the ball joint with a jack. then did the strut to knuckle bolts, then the 3 tower bolts. and as you lower the jack, the spring decompresses itself. worked great, and saved a TON of time. did both struts in about a half hour that way. after a very hard learning process the first time i took them apart.

·
Registered
124 Posts
nice, i was just wondering. i FINALLY ordered my sportlines today, speeding tickets and new tires set them back a bit, but now theyre on the way! now ive never done anything like this, do you guys think its something i should try? im all about learning to do things myself, its part of the customizing expirence. i just dont wanna get myself in something and not be able to finish it.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
nice, i was just wondering. i FINALLY ordered my sportlines today, speeding tickets and new tires set them back a bit, but now theyre on the way! now ive never done anything like this, do you guys think its something i should try? im all about learning to do things myself, its part of the customizing expirence. i just dont wanna get myself in something and not be able to finish it.
i think youll be fine. its not all that hard really. granted the first time takes a while. so you probably want to set aside a weekend, or at least one day. if you have access to air tools, or at least a cordless impact driver it will help a ton. you dont want to spend all that time with a socket wrench to compress the springs! i did mine that way the first time, and took FOREVER! but if you follow the how to you should be fine.
and if you have any questions, let me know. ive done mine a couple times now.
oh, and a nice breaker bar comes in handy for the top nut on the struts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks man! and thats good to know. does a haynes manual come in handy for something like this? ive owned a few but never used em.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
not sure about the haynes manual. i dont have one. i used a how to the first time. and did just fine. took forever though. using the method i posted above did it very fast the second time. another person is very helpful too. i wouldnt want to try and reinstall alone, that would suck cause you cant see the holes from under. and they can get heavy.
feel free to pm me before you do it. and ill help as much as i can.

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks alot scag! and yes it is a bad idea for something like this. a friend of mine talked me into it. it works good for hot rods or classic cars. theres not really a whole lot of wallet friendly produsts to lower those kind of cars so my buddies do it all the time. the ride isnt great but on an older car who cares. but on my car, i want the best. i only did it to see who it was, i was gonna get springs anyway if it sucked. so why not. still a bad choice on my part and i wouldnt suggest it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.