·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tools you need
1)metal cutter or dremel tool
2)!!! flux welder!!!
3) some scrap metal

step1 decide what kind of shape you want measure it and cut it with cutter or dremel tool
step2 fold down the piece that you just cut and stick something in between to keep desired width of an opening

step3 get your scrap metal out cut a triangular shapes big enough just to close up the gaps on the sides
step4 set your welder's wire feed from 7 up to 10 and set current on minimum (otherwise you will melt through the hood) weld the triangular pieces in place (you could also use fiber glass instead of welding like this guy here Venting your hood but i don't trust that cause every time you open your hood and the slam it shut the shock created will crack the fiber glass and bondo will chip off and fell out with time:sad:)

step5 grind down any imperfections and apply body filler to fill in all gaps and metal deformations after the heat from welding

step6 sand it down and paint

i haven’t painted mine cause this hood scoop is just a little part of the big project that i am doing you can choose your own shape and how many of these you want on your hood the hood vents are done the same way its just the opening would be facing the windshield have a fun :cheesy:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well what it will look like is a hood from need for speed most wanted on cobalt ss it had 3 openings for a scoop in front of the hood and 2 vents on the sides close to the rear of the hood and one none functional vent in the middle of those other two vents :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Looks good will be interesting to see the finished product. Good advise about using fiberglass part on metal hoods, too many people make that mistake and even pros cannot get the fiberglass to last long with metal without issues. A cheap hack job shows after the 4th or 5th hood closing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^

ya dude seriously i was amazed on how many people do this without even thinking i doubt that they ever seen how bondo and epoxy resin works,
Ok now here's possible(means i NEVER TRIED IT on metal so i don't know how it will behave) alternative to welding and fiber glass pepboys have this whitish yellow stuff its called plastic weld i believe, that stuff should work it drys in about 3-5 minutes and cures in 4 hours i used it on my moms bumper cause she likes to scrape all the deeps with her bumper and one day when she was on her way to my house the bumper ripped of course i used this plastic weld and glue that bumper up and she keep scraping all the deeps but the bumper still in place after 4-5 month... should work the same way with metal my friend use it on he's old radiator to seal i leaks and it worked it's just one pack of it is 5-6 dollars and you gonna need a few i'd still recommend getting a flux welder for like $120 or even less but it worth it cause you can do lots of stuff with it even torture people who owe you money :nuts: lol i am just kidding :toung:

·
Registered
166 Posts
i would never have the bawls to do this....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nuh i would consider body work as a torture you get burned cut scraped chemical burns from resin chemical poisoning from body filler/epoxy/welding vapors cause respirator doesn't always help...

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

o ya and don't forget sanding dust and micro fiberglass fibers getting into your skin :unsure:

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
good Idea and this is something that is done a lot on custom cars/truck. I don't really like how it's just a square boxy hole though. kinda tacky looking. sorry just my opinion I'm not hating.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

but I do see that you are not done so I'll be watching to see how the end result looks. just hard to tell at this point.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bahahaha pick up from the bus stop LMAO **** that i will just drive to the local junk yard and pay $45 and get used hood :nuts:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here's some more progress it does look a bit cricked because i haven't sanded the bondo yet closer to the rear of the hood you can see the hood vents they aren't finished because i ran out of flux wire i will get it done tomorrow and hopefully i will be done with welding and bondo by Wednesday and get it painted.. also if you gong to do that make sure you cover your windshield!!!!!!!! the sparks coming from the grinding can melt into your windshield!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.