Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Do you want tips on how to/not to do a headliner?

• yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the deal I was going to do the DIY for the headliner but it didn't turn out quite the way I wanted to and I don't think it'll last so I'm going a different route (fiberglass and paint). I'm not going to give false information So my question is should I post tips on how to/not to do this or is there no one who wants to do this? And if you do what do you want to know?

·
Registered
117 Posts
any info helps!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can help you out with the DIY also if you want. I have wrapped many headliners between my cars and when I was working at custom stereo shops
Are you planning on doing yours anytime soon? If not I'll post up all my know how and what not to do's and you can check it over to make sure I didn't mess any thing up or give false information.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are you planning on doing yours anytime soon? If not I'll post up all my know how and what not to do's and you can check it over to make sure I didn't mess any thing up or give false information.
Mine is already done on black

M

·
0 Posts
what did you do duffy? you try the spray adhesive and vinyl didnt ya? gravity wasnt your friend?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what did you do duffy? you try the spray adhesive and vinyl didnt ya? gravity wasnt your friend?
I did try that but I never put it in the car. I knew it wouldn't work as soon as I sprayed it on there. I tryed a few other adhesives but nothing was working. I gave up and thought It would look better painted

M

·
0 Posts
thought so

i WOULD like to know how to remove the headliner, i may just have a HUGE project to do this summer....

·
Registered
117 Posts
get on it! JK

·
Registered
80 Posts
mind4, im pretty sure that once you remove all the panels around the edges, and the light fixture, you could prob just give it a tug if it doesnt fall off, at least thats how it was with my dynasty, the roof liner was coming apart, so i ripped it out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It was a headliner adhesive that we ordered from a place called Select Products (I worked at a custom stereo shop). It was a two part adhesive that has to be mixed up in a paint gun to be sprayed. You spray both the headliner and the vinyl, let it sit for a minute, then stick it together. ANother thing you need to do to make it stick is to pull off the factory installed fabric, then use sandpaper or something like that, to get all the foam off from under the original fabric. That way you have just the hard part of the headliner and the glue can't sink into anything

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was a headliner adhesive that we ordered from a place called Select Products (I worked at a custom stereo shop). It was a two part adhesive that has to be mixed up in a paint gun to be sprayed. You spray both the headliner and the vinyl, let it sit for a minute, then stick it together. ANother thing you need to do to make it stick is to pull off the factory installed fabric, then use sandpaper or something like that, to get all the foam off from under the original fabric. That way you have just the hard part of the headliner and the glue can't sink into anything
I did that with ours (minus the sanding) and it is REALLY flimsy it's like there's nothing there

·
Registered
485 Posts
I did that with ours (minus the sanding) and it is REALLY flimsy it's like there's nothing there
Yea, I'm not sure on the Cobalt. I just used black fabric paint on mine. It came out great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.