Extruded honed exhaust manifold
2.4 intake manifold
GM cold air intake
Short throw shifter
I think thats bout it if any more ideas or input plz feel free

·
Registered
135 Posts
Personally if you’re going to do the exhaust manifold and cat back I'd replace the down pipe as well. There is just no good reason not to replace it all at once. Also I'd see about getting a manifold from maybe another member who owns an LSJ that has replaced theirs with a header, just for cost sake. BE WARNED, some people like the 2.4 intake swap, some don't. The problem is it moves the power band higher up in the rpm range. Instead of peak power at 4000 rpms it peaks at 6000 rpms if I remember correctly, Crate Engine Depot has the dyno sheet posted. I'd suggest you look at it and ignore the HP numbers look at the TQ curve and think about your every day rpm range. My suggestion is if this is your every day driver, don’t do the swap it will just cut the low end out of the car. The short throw shifter from TWM was the first and is the best thing I have done to my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
your mods list looks pretty good, but are you planning to turbocharge or supercharge it later? if so, IMO just save all that money and put it into a kit. the TWM shifter is a very good idea tho, i had that on my old 2.2 LS i had. but if you want to go N/A then i'd go with the k&n or injen cai. as for exhaust, there are much better flowing systems out there instead of the GM stuff, unless you value your warranty.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i made a list of parts for my 2.2 LT. will they help or is it a waste of time
Gmpp performance cat back exhaust
Extruded honed exhaust manifold
2.4 intake manifold
GM cold air intake
Short throw shifter
I think thats bout it if any more ideas or input plz feel free
The extruded honed exaust manifold is for the SS/SC but I think you can you it. The intake roughly 6-7 hp and 4-5 tq, exaust says 12hp gain idk what the torque is. i've heard combining exaust, intake, and the 2.4 mani swap is roughly a 20-25 hp. gain for about 800 bucks which isn't bad. Short-throw improves drivability. Why not change your mounts too? It's a great mod for your cobalt and really helps traction and shifting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
im gonna have to agree on the mounts. at least replace the tranny mount bushings. that really helps. smoother shifting, helps get power to the wheels. all for just under $50. very cheap and worthwhile mod

·
Registered
575 Posts
I get mega vibes from up upper engine mount and trans mounts. Big difference in launches and shifting.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think that sounds like a nice mod list. Like others have mentioned I'd throw in some mounts and you'd have yourself a very different feeling car. It will be noticeably quicker.

G

·
i have tinkered a bit with my car and i havetoagree the mounts made a good impovement but i would also like to add that if you do decide to go forced induction that you beef up the bottom end it will allow youto run more boost and you dont have that thought in the back of your mind about blowin it up just my two cents

·
Registered
139 Posts
looks good, like montecarloman said, you might want to change the downpipe too. Since your opening up the exhaust, no sense in keeping it stock between the header and exhaust. I've read where some use an SS/SC downpipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.