Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
there is a good chance the stock had to be cut off. Just be cautious that most DIY cut them off as you really cant wiggle it out without a lift and or taking more things apart. (been a long time since I did mine, I just remember having to cut it. No option)

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
there is a good chance the stock had to be cut off. Just be cautious that most DIY cut them off as you really cant wiggle it out without a lift and or taking more things apart. (been a long time since I did mine, I just remember having to cut it. No option)
I agree, ended up taking a sawzall to my stock exhaust and I rather enjoyed it. If you're going to upgrade your exhaust, I think it'd be best to simply buy a stainless steel and mandrel bent model, as they shouldn't rust and will flow better. I went with a pricier brand (GMPP) but I hear they're all the same until the muffler, so even a $150 eBay catback will perform just as well (Some people who took the eBay option even hacked off the mufflers and tacked on a better sounding one, Borla comes to mind) Ask around and do your research. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I did that.

Bought an Option Racing EBay catback for $140 shipped.

Resonated AND 2.5" mandrel bent piping...to a crappy sounding muffler. I got rid of that for a Borla Pro XS and a factory SS tip.

Stock DP/Manifold. I think it sounds pretty good for a all motor four banger.

Stationary Start/Rev: FA0ADB3C-C537-4258-9452-AC2593B11A64-10244-0000080DEFC50AC0_zps12f012b1.mp4 Video by bluegtp03 | Photobucket

Start/Rev/Takeoff/1,287.4HP: 926BEA31-421C-4E44-90AE-A8B7D386ED60-10330-00000810A0406080_zpsd247cb07.mp4 Video by bluegtp03 | Photobucket

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy sell it to me for 200$ And for me if i buy from ebay a cheap catback the shipping is always freaking high (i live in canada)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It's better than spending $200 on a used factory catback...where you'll see more gains from the EBay catback...

And I bet even if shipping is around $60 or more, it's worth it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy sell it to me for 100$ and he will go send it to my at my mechanics so i have no choice to take it so the ss exaust from catalyst to muffler will fit perfectly at my ls 2005 or it will be weird looking? And somebody got pic ??! Thanks

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Pretty sure three~ different people said it world work.

Why wouldn't it?

It's the same car.

And mechanics? Lawl. Bolt it on yourself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he got the exaust line in 2 pieces it need welding so no choice to see my mechanics haha so with this i will get sound and a little of hp ?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I bet you don't notice hardly a thing.

Not trying to hate, just saying.

Would have not even bothered with it and gone with a cheapo catback.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Would have not even bothered with it and gone with a cheapo catback.
Now the downpipe is a different story, going from 2.2 LAP to a 2.0 S/C LSJ "should" make a few more ponies :) Once you have a full exhaust though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Actually its going from 2" to 2.5" so there should be more flow from the header to the catback :) More flow=more power :) After that, its time to talk to Vince to remap my fuel trim.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It's all about correct velocity and exhaust pulses.

I'm sure a SS manifold/downpipe with a HFC/2.5" catback would suffice just fine on ANY N/A ecotec.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's all about correct velocity and exhaust pulses.

I'm sure a SS manifold/downpipe with a HFC/2.5" catback would suffice just fine on ANY N/A ecotec.
Exactly, why I preach to younger tuners about catalytic converters, there is no restriction in air flow on a 3 way cat. I tell them to hold a cat converter in the air with a light, shooting through it on a white wall, you will see a big hole inside reflecting. Its what we call poor perception. Running a non catted downpipe will cause your Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxides (HC and CO) to pump out your muffler tip, in which a 5 gas analyzer will fail an emissions test.

So the only reason of running an off road downpipe is strictly for racing, having your engine highly modified to the point that the block is built by an aftermarket company, running basically a non OEM engine block with non OEM forced induction setup is what its used for. You may gain a whopping 2 more ponies for the catless, but never worth it if you plan on driving on the streets with state tags in the trunk. Sorry, got off topic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.