Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
IF your tech 2 can lower the RPM that the power enrichment comes in that would be a start. I'm not sure the tech 2 can do that...I was under the impression that you can enable or disable only certain functions...like turning off the SAI function, change wheel sizes, turning on cruise, etc...but not changing engine tuning parameter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a Tec two at home and I was wondering if any one has the modifications to make it faster?
Chevrolet used to, (I hope they still do!), have a book called, "Chevy Power Parts", that you can pick up from any Chevy dealers Parts Department. This book will list Chevrolet part numbers for high performance parts that have been designed by Chevrolet engineers. In other words, they work!

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Chevrolet used to, (I hope they still do!), have a book called, "Chevy Power Parts", that you can pick up from any Chevy dealers Parts Department. This book will list Chevrolet part numbers for high performance parts that have been designed by Chevrolet engineers. In other words, they work!

Good luck with it.
True...but the list of GM designed 2.4 performance parts is VERY limited...GMPP intake (designed for 2.2), the extrude honed manifold, and the cat-back exhaust -- which are actually smaller diameter tubing then the stock 2.4 cat-back exhaust.

·
Registered
240 Posts
True...but the list of GM designed 2.4 performance parts is VERY limited...GMPP intake (designed for 2.2), the extrude honed manifold, and the cat-back exhaust -- which are actually smaller diameter tubing then the stock 2.4 cat-back exhaust.
GM set speed records with that engine using all Chevrolet supplied parts. Has to be a pretty decent list, I would think. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Alright, I was thinking about throwing a turbo on it but I'm not sure If my trans can handle the power
Not to mention the engine itself. Turbocharging puts a lot of stress on the engine and to do the job right so the engine doesn't blow to smitherines, the engine should be rebuilt and beefed up with an O-ringed block, stronger internal parts, etc. The final cost is thousands of dollars. There's no free lunch.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Alright, I was thinking about throwing a turbo on it but I'm not sure If my trans can handle the power
you could throw a turbo in there and not worry about it. the tranny is rated at like 500 hp i think, and the engine way more. you just have to be careful w/ how much boost your pushing. on a stock engine i think the general recommendation is 15 psi, someone can correct that. anything more you would need some work done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then I don't get it because the ss have a 2.2 motor and they have a turbo and i have a 2.4 so I don't get y my engine won't handle the power?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Then I don't get it because the ss have a 2.2 motor and they have a turbo and i have a 2.4 so I don't get y my engine won't handle the power?
the s/c t/c have a 2.0l engine, the LS LT and sport have a 2.2, then the SS has the 2.4L. it's what the engines made of that makes the difference. and the quality of the camshafts and things. the s/c's adn t/c's are made from the factory to handle the boost. even they have a limit to how much boost they can have though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The internals of a factory turbocharged engine are usually much stronger than a non-turbocharged engine, with the differences being cast aluminum pistons, vs forged aluminum pistons, nodular iron crankshafts vs forged steel crankshafts, etc. It's not uncommon for turbocharged engines to also have larger cooling systems to try and dissipate the substantial heat a turbocharger generates. Also, turbocharged engines usually have dished pistons for lower compression ratio's so as to avoid the engine-destroying affects of detonation that a turbocharger can create due to the massively increased combustion chamber pressures and subsequent increase in temperatures. Water injection can be used to help address these increased cylinder pressures and temperatures. Detonation can blow holes right through a piston. There's a lot more involved than just, "throwing on a turbocharger". Then too we have emissions standards that have to be addressed. There's a lot more to this than some might realize.

It's rather like if you had two football players from the same team, say the Pittsburgh Steelers. Just because the 165 pound field goal kicker is wearing the same uniform as the 350 pound defensive lineman, doesn't mean both football players are capable of withstanding the same pounding and beating they would get from playing. So it goes with a non-turbocharged engine vs a turbocharged engine.

I hope this helps to understand the situation a little better. You can search the Internet about this topic. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.