Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to do some mods but dont have much money right now anything i could do for chep or no money at all

·
Registered
230 Posts
None of the free mods really make a difference and even something like a new air intake won't make it all that fast. You've gotta pay to play, if you want speed go turbo or nitrous. I probably spent around $800 on all my motor mods by buying parts on clearance and used and then doing the installs myself.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some of the owners do the 'air box mod' which involves cutting/modifying the resonators and restrictions in the lower part of the air intake system. That and a drop in K&N filter is what seems to be the choice mod for very budget tuners.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The airbox mod is probably good for 1hp or 2, which is obviously not much. Really your best bang for you buck short term is nitrous. A 50 shot should do you. Of course once the bottle runs out you have to refill and after a while it adds up.

Weight reduction is also free. You could strip out the back seats, brackets, all the crap in the trunk, etc etc. It adds up more then people realize although I doubt you will be saying to yourself "wow this feels a lot faster when you are done."

Of course the typical mods everyone does is intake and exhaust. The gains are not stellar though and honestly they will get you more sound then anything.

Like BB said FI is where you are really going to feel the difference, but it's not cheap and you need to know what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
isnt there a bar in the back seat that weighs almost 50 lbs and is pointless somewhere under the rear seat that some one found and took out ?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
isnt there a bar in the back seat that weighs almost 50 lbs and is pointless somewhere under the rear seat that some one found and took out ?
i believe that was somewhere on this thread - http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/engine-mods/7885-starters-bolt-performance-mod-list-5.html

The rear seats and the bracket that holds them actually weight quite a bit. I couldn't tell you how much, but it's over well over 50lbs. There is enough crap in the car (rear seat, passanger seat, spare tire, trunk carpet, etc, etc) to shave a few tenths off the quartermile. Now granted this is extreme for a daily driver but with the help of a friend you can have the car stripped in about 30 minutes for track days. :)
And i gotta give IMA credit for that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Remove the silencer, airbox mod, weight reduction. Those are the cheapest mods.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey BlackBalt, do you know it the LSJ header and downpipe is compatible with the LE5?
Don't quote me on this but I think depending on what year of 2.4 SS you have, it came with the same one. I am almost sure 2007 and up 2.2/2.4 actually have the same manifold as the 2.0 but I can't say 100%. Either way, being as the Cobalts all have the same motor castings and basic mounting points, most of the parts will swap over. IE people swapping LE5 manifolds or LSJ downpipes.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Removing emblems / badges is free

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
wheres the silencer for the airbox??? and how do i remove it?
the air box is located in the passenger side fender(2.2, 2.4).Once you have clear view, it's 2 tem mm bolts, then pull the big piece off the bottom, and reinstall tube, if you wish.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Won't yield much just frees up the airflow and makes ur intake a little louder.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Click here to see how to remove the silencer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Won't yield much just frees up the airflow and makes ur intake a little louder.
It makes it little louder than a little louder... It's actually a pretty noticable difference. Many say that it won't do anything for your performance but I found that the car seems to be able to ride the gears out just a little farther than it did before I pulled the resonator off...

·
Registered
268 Posts
yeah i did it and holy crap it was a pain in the butt to pull it out from above instead of from through the fender. but wow it is very noticable afterwards. my exhaust is way deeper of a tone when shifting up through the gears and way faster of a response when going on it, also it does feel like u can ride out the gears a little quicker. thanx guys

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeah i did it and holy crap it was a pain in the butt to pull it out from above instead of from through the fender. but wow it is very noticable afterwards. my exhaust is way deeper of a tone when shifting up through the gears and way faster of a response when going on it, also it does feel like u can ride out the gears a little quicker. thanx guys
No prob, glad you like it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.