Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to AZ to check out a CAI. The guy there asked what I wanted to do with my car, etc. I told him I wanted to get more acceleration, free up HPs, and get better gas mileage. He said the CAI wouldn't do anything, nor would a new exhaust system, but a turbocharge system would do it all. He also asked where the tach redlined, but I couldn't remember and didn't get why he asked. I wanted to get a new intake, headers, exhaust sys., and all that. Doesn't the turbo include that stuff? What would be best?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well,let me help you out,Autozone is full of shit and they only hire retards who have no actual knowledge of cars,you may find that 1% employee who knows his shit,other then that,I recommend Murray's Discount Auto store.A turbo system will run you over 2grand or more.supercharging can sometimes be less money then what you will pay on a turbo,but have to go hunting for the right parts for the supercharger to work right.A CAI or SRI will give you some gains,but don't expect big numbers,like most ricers do.As for header,new downpipe(2.5")and a 2.5"exhaust system,you will notice a a big difference in numbers,compared to stock.The turbo does come with a header meant for a turbo,but if you want to make it easier on yourself you can go with a STS turbo kit.the kit will actually hook up in the back where the cat-back exhaust is located.Also you can procharge the cobalt as well,where it will run off the belt like supercharger.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Stock Headers can be restrictive while other headers are less restrictive because of the design of them and bigger tubing, like a 4-1 header is better, because it runs off of the individual "exhaust holes" in your engine and channels into one pipe... best way to explain it in lamins terms.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I hear a lot of people saying new headers, what is the difference in the new headers compared to the stock headers?
First off its A header. Not headerS Only V6/8/10 etc motors have 2 your inline 4 cylinder has 1 exhaust manifold.

Here is a pic of the stock SS/SC manifold

And hear is a pic of the shorty header from racing solution.

Check the how-to section for the "how-to install a header and downpipe" for more pics

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the best solution for what I'm trying to do would be...

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
So, the best solution for what I'm trying to do would be...
IMO it seems like you are not looking for a speed demon, just a fun daily driver right?

Well first off don't go to autozone for ANYTHING performance related!
Shop online, and go with parts that others have and have good reviews on.

What is your budget?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
^^^ I agree with OBZ...shop on-line for good deals and cheaper too. Autozone is good for basic stuff like cleaners, waxes, oil, filter etc. I've looked into their K&N prices -- too high. You can get far better deals at the sponsers of this site as well as just about any Cobalt dedicated website.

C'mon guys/gals, don't bash AutoZone employees because of one ignorant parts guy...

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
you very rarely want to listen to anything these auto places tell you besides non AZ's or AA. I go in there to just get want I need like cleaners, oil, I have asked questions before to all of them and get some of the stupidest responses ever. I asked a AA assoc. about a socket for the oil filter and they were "ugh, ugh, we do not sell them" so I grabbed it off the shelf and said, "oh, you do not sell these, thanks" and left. What I asked was if they knew if it was the same for the 2.0 and 2.2(it is) but got nothing. There are sometimes a knowledgable assoc. working at one but its rare.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The best auto place to ever shop honestly,is NAPA for good tools and oem parts.You usually find a older guy behind the counter,when they send the retards with less knowledge out to deliver.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet, I started a thread that became legendary! :nuts:

IMO it seems like you are not looking for a speed demon, just a fun daily driver right?

Well first off don't go to autozone for ANYTHING performance related!
Shop online, and go with parts that others have and have good reviews on.

What is your budget?
You're pretty on the mark, OBZ. Anything too speedy and my lead foot will get me in lots of trouble :grin: Just looking to free some horsepower, and again gain MPGs if I can. Everybody I talk to has something different and totally opposite to say. My budget is still being determined. Let's says it $2k, but cheap is good.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.