Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
no, it kills your MPG

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

If you read through some of these mpg threads it has been explained in detail

·
Registered
2 Posts
no, it kills your MPG

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

If you read through some of these mpg threads it has been explained in detail
I think it depends on where you're driving. Here in Wisc we don't have much in the way of hills. I get around 34 mpg driving from Milwaukee to Lacrosse using the cruise.
We just took a driving trip to Dallas, very different terrain in Missouri & parts of Illinois. Still 33 plus mpg. The way down averaged 63 mph for 1050 miles.
I have a 2010 Cobalt with auto transmission.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
no, it kills your MPG
There you go. perfect.

I think it depends on where you're driving. Here in Wisc we don't have much in the way of hills. I get around 34 mpg driving from Milwaukee to Lacrosse using the cruise.
We just took a driving trip to Dallas, very different terrain in Missouri & parts of Illinois. Still 33 plus mpg. The way down averaged 63 mph for 1050 miles.
I have a 2010 Cobalt with auto transmission.
You prolly would have gotten better than that without the cruise control.

if ur driving straight on the thruway with no hills its better for mpg to have cruise on. as soon as u see a hill or w/e take it off.
Cruise control is never the best answer unless.... See Below

If your the type who when driving your speed slowly creeps up the cruise control can help you by keeping your speed where you set it.

Otherwise you can get better mpg by driving without it.
^^^ this.

Here is the thread that goes over this and other highway driving habits.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/all-about-mpg/15427-max-mpg-tips-2-highway-driving.html

·
Registered
289 Posts
I really don't see how going a constant speed on non-hilly roads is gonna hurt your gas milage. I use it 90% of the time, drive 310 + miles a week, fill up once a week, & average 30 mpg. I also have the 2.4 Sport......

·
Registered
674 Posts
sorry if you are averaging 310 miles in a week and filling up at that, you are NOT getting 30 mpg, more like 25.8 mpg... the only way you will see 30 mpg is if you are doing 360 every tank full. you know, 12 gallons in a tank, times 30 mpg equals 360 Miles. You are not filling up or using your entire tank if you are filling up at 310 miles, you would still have just about 2 gallons left if you're getting 30 mpg, then that is another 60 Miles...

·
Registered
448 Posts
i dont see how it would kill mpg since its keeping a constant speed unlike if you didnt have cruise on you have to keep going on/off the throttle plus i use cruise all the time and average 29mpg

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
MPG is not about speed. It's not about keeping the same speed all the time. It's about how much fuel is flowing into your motor over a mile.

Cruise control only keeps the speed of the car constant. It does nothing to keep the fuel flow constant. That is the limitation of cruise control.

Your foot does not have this limitation. You can get on the road, punch up your INST MPG display and vary your foot position to keep that display reading about the same. When you do this the speed of your car will increase and decrease, but your mpg will remain in your control.

I know roads may seem flat, but no roads are perfectly flat. This is why a smart foot willget better mpg than cruise control. Simply, you are smarter than your car.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Will knows his stuff. I never question what he says about MPG info.

I really don't see how going a constant speed on non-hilly roads is gonna hurt your gas milage. I use it 90% of the time, drive 310 + miles a week, fill up once a week, & average 30 mpg. I also have the 2.4 Sport......

you just proved in your own post that cruise kills MPG. 30 mpg average is bad for a cobalt. I get 35 without even trying to get good mpg. (also I do not even have cruise control in my car)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow Thanks guys! Yea I watch the cruise control on highway @ 100 km/h is
7L/100km but If I take it off it goes down to about 5-6L/100km.. I always thought that cruise control was better for MPG but now it's not the way to go if you are craving extra mpg, that's in my opinion atleast.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
289 Posts
sorry if you are averaging 310 miles in a week and filling up at that, you are NOT getting 30 mpg, more like 25.8 mpg... the only way you will see 30 mpg is if you are doing 360 every tank full. you know, 12 gallons in a tank, times 30 mpg equals 360 Miles. You are not filling up or using your entire tank if you are filling up at 310 miles, you would still have just about 2 gallons left if you're getting 30 mpg, then that is another 60 Miles...
Yes, I fill up @ the quarter tank mark, or usually just under(50 - 60 miles left).........

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Cruise control only keeps the speed of the car constant. It does nothing to keep the fuel flow constant. That is the limitation of cruise control.
Yep. Those of us with boost gauges can see the fluxuation in throttle that occur while using cruise. When I'm going down a hill, the engine likes to run in high vac, but if I'm going up hill, often times the cruise will put the car into boost to maintain speed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Will knows his stuff. I never question what he says about MPG info.

you just proved in your own post that cruise kills MPG. 30 mpg average is bad for a cobalt. I get 35 without even trying to get good mpg. (also I do not even have cruise control in my car)
30 is good for an Auto, I get 28.5 in my auto, mostly because of the stop and go traffic. Though When I reset my MPG average meter and after a day or two I was in my garage and the MPG average went down considerable because I have a 32 MPG average for those two days and I watched it go to 30 while I was plugging in my Ipod, I don't think our cars know when we are stoped at a light or on the highway and It takes out no outliers. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It wont. Cruise is great if you live in Kansas, not so good in West Virginia.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.