Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the oil by myself and indecisive on what to get. Know it has to be 5W30, and I don't need Synthetic since mine is an LS, but want to get one that is pretty good.

There are just so many, should I get Pennzoil High mileage, Castrol GTX, Mobil Super? (the Mobil says Premium, not Synthetic is that okay?

You guys tell me, I don't know. Online saw a wix filter is best so I'll look for a good one of those.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I usually treat my engine as if its already dirty, even if brand new, GTX High Mileage would be my recommendation. For the Filter, Even a Fram brand one would work, but Wix is apparently better, your choice really, as long as your change your oil before is gets completely dirty, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
if you changing your oil every 3k i really dont think it matters what kind of oil you put in. esepcially an LS

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a friend who was an engineer for Texico/Havoline and basically he said motor oil is motor oil. For 99% of passenger cars, any brand that meets goverment standards will do. He did go on saything that Mobil 1 is probably the best synthetic oil you can use but unless you are running something extremely high performance, it is not necessary.

---
Points2Shop

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I ran mobil 1 sythetic in my LT and changed it every 10k miles. the oil suppose to hold until 15k but I just dont feel comfortable going that long without an oil change

I ended up saving money in the long run by switching to synthetic because I went 3x as long between oil changes. I plan on using the same stuff and changing it every 5k in my SS due to it being boosted

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you are going to use full synthetic and keep it in the car for 10,000miles or longer, I would recommend you change the filter half way since it is so easy. Been doing that with my Mitsubishi and it has 379412Kms and still purrs. Been doing it with the Cobalt since I got it. When oil meter says 60% life remaining I change the filter and top-up. Then I change oil and filter at 20% life. About 12000Kms interval.

·
Registered
924 Posts
235,755 miles

Still purring, can't argue with that.

What I would do, for the sake of $20, is do as Coby said, but just do the entire oil change "half way". It cant hurt, only help, if you go by the Oil Life info, you generally run for about 4-5 months (regardless of miles, for me anyway) so basically change it every 2500 miles I would guess. The way I see it is, "Change it before it gets nasty, not after." That would require checking oil once a week, when you see it browning, probably about 2 months later (depends on usage), change it.

Unless there is something about only changing the filter I'm missing?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay you all have good advice. I'll put the Mobil or GTX high mileage in cause once you start using synthetic can't you not change it?

Ohhhh yeah another thing, the first oil change was complimentary from the dealership, and I waited until the light came on at like 10% then I got it changed. Is it better to automatically change every 3k, or just check the dip to decide when to do it?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would recommend GTX HM over Mobil, that's just overpriced crap, I purchased it once (on sale) and it did not make any difference. Just change your oil before it gets ugly, then you will see the better end of it later on.

If you use synthetic you can change back when ever you like. If you engine is dirty, or you suspect it is, I would replace 1 of the 5 quarts with Marvel Mystery Oil, it works wonders.

About when to change the oil, I would check using the dip stick every 2 weeks, or every week, once you see it black, change it, filter too.

·
Registered
924 Posts
May I add, I had an engine swap once, it was very dirty, so much the cylinders were sticking, and using my method I got rid of the mis-fire problem I was having, so it works and is very clean, before anyone says not to listen, that's too much, think again, it does not hurt your engine, it does not cost a fortune and your car will run like new, 10 years down the road.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! Yep I'm to test a few different stuff out and see what I like. Definitely will make sure to check it, and change the filter halfway if looks like it needs to be switched out.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I already saw your visitor messages, as you probably know.

In the Cobalt, changing your filter without draining the oil could result in a mess as the filter is higher than usual on the engine the Cobalt has. I would recommend just changing the oil more often than the GM standards say you should just because its much better for your engine, honestly, you can easily get the oil and your new filter for about $25 at any auto parts store, to do this every 2 months, its not a big deal. You will be happy once all the cars around you run like crap and yours is mint even though its older, believe me, its worth the extra few bucks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Changing your oil every 3K is a misnomer & always has been. Just another ploy by the oil companies to make more money off the consumer. As long as your not towing anything or driving in very dirty/dusty conditions, you can safely go up to 5K with no issues. I use Mobil 5K dino oil & it works fine. Just plan on spending a fre more dollars on a better quality oil filter. Wix is good as previously mentioned, & K&M is also. Oil quality has come a LONG way in the past 10 years........

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I already saw your visitor messages, as you probably know.

In the Cobalt, changing your filter without draining the oil could result in a mess as the filter is higher than usual on the engine the Cobalt has.
Filter is snapped in the cap and seats in the filter housing with a rubber "O" ring as check valve. As soon as you unscrew the cap a few turns the "O" ring breaks its seal and lets the oil flow down to the oil pan, by the time your done unscrewing the cap most of the oil has drained down and out. I do this all the time and never have a mess on my hands. Maybe a few drops in my rag, thats it. Clean oil, clean engine. Last time filter wasn't that black which is good, but I changed it anyway. Better to be safe than sorry. But I don't think with oil quality these days you need to change the oil at 3000K. In my opinion if GM says 12000Kms with syntec then so be it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well, I guess it wouldn't easily make a mess.

I just recommend changing everything that is not clean, if your oil is dirty, change it. I suppose leaving it as it is and only changing the filter will help, and save you money you would have otherwise spent on the oil, but we're talking about $20. Your not changing it once a month, would be more at the once per quarter. so that's less than $7 monthly for nice perfectly clean oil and a nicer running motor after 10 years or 300k. Can't even get 2 gallons of gas for that.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I can't buy full synthetic oil in Canada for 20$. I use Valvoline full synthetic 5W-30 and the cheapest I can get it on sale is 47$ with tax for a 4.7 liter jug. This week the Pennzoil is on sale at 28$ for 4 liters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, after you decide between synthetic or dino-oil, i would say your biggest decision is in oil filter. That probably has more to do with taking care of your engine than the motor oil brand.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Damn, Canada is expensive. We get oil specials all the time, GTX oil and a filter for $19.99 plus tax. (Cobalt owners usualy pay a few dollars more since the filter is more expensive).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.