Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have sworn my car had DRLs when I bought it, but now if it's running and I get out and look they are not lit. Do you have to have it in drive?

I think I will start just using my parking lights when I drive. The only downside I suppose is it can drain the battery if I accidentally leave them on. Did these cars come with battery rundown protection, even on exterior lighting? I think it's got it for at least the interior lights.

Some real GM mechanics/owners, I need a little help. Thanks.

James

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I could have sworn my car had DRLs when I bought it, but now if it's running and I get out and look they are not lit. Do you have to have it in :amazed:drive?
Yes your car should have "DRL"s. They only come on in drive and during the day but you can't pull the emergency brake to check, since this disabled the "DRL".

During day time block your wheels, turn ignition to on without starting engine, then put car in drive and go check if your "DRLs" are on. If not check fuse. If fuse is good report back and I'll redirect you to a thread that deals with possible problems.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/28455-drl-lights-not-coming.html
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/29851-2007-model-year-drl-wire-fried.html
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/29739-headlights.html

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The 2010 does have them. They are only on when the car is running and in gear.
If it is a auto the parking brake will not turn them off.
Put your car in neutral with with the car running and the parking brake on.
You should see them then.

If you don't check the DRL fuse in the fuse block under the hood. If that's good it might be the wiring for the DRL's that's bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Are you saying the 2010 is different than the 2007 with auto? When I pull the parking brake it turns "OFF" my "DRL"s and they are not on in park.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The 2010 does have them. They are only on when the car is running and in gear.
If it is a auto the parking brake will not turn them off.
Put your car in neutral with with the car running and the parking brake on.
You should see them then.

If you don't check the DRL fuse in the fuse block under the hood. If that's good it might be the wiring for the DRL's that's bad.
i agree, i have the 2010 auto and mine stay on even when im in nuetral with the parking brake on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a 2010 auto but I never really checked them. Maybe I'll get out there today and take a look. You guys are always creating work for me. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
675 Posts
i usually dont check them either, but i took a road trip to florida last year so i figured i might as well go through the whole pre-road trip checks for everything and noticed they were on.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This is out of the 2010 service manual, and I checked the schematic it is the exact same as 2007.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
The ambient light sensor is a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the body control module (BCM) in response to changes to the outside (ambient) light level. When the BCM receives this signal, it will either turn ON the daytime running lamps (DRL) or the headlights if the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position. Any function or condition that turns ON the headlights will cancel the DRL operation. With the headlight switch in the AUTO position, the headlights will either be turned ON or OFF, after an approximate 30-second delay depending on whether daylight or low light conditions are sensed. The DRL illuminates the park/turn signal and DRL lamps. The DRL will operate when the ignition switch is in the ON position, the gear selector is not in the PARK position, and the parking brake is released. When these conditions have been met and the ambient light sensor indicates daytime conditions, the DRL will illuminate.

DRL operation in manual transmission equipped vehicles will occur when the ignition switch is in the ON position, and the parking brake is released.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
And proven to save lives an collisions.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just checked mine at lunch. Sun was out so I know it was daytime :)

At first they weren't on, that I could see, with the ignition in the on position and the transmission in neutral. Then I discovered I had the parking brake on. So I released the parking brake, made sure the car was not rolling and checked again. Yup, they were on. Working as specified.

I don't know how you can dislike DRLs. You don't even notice they are on and they are a safety feature. I like them!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I don't know how you can dislike DRLs. You don't even notice they are on and they are a safety feature. I like them!
Visually they suck, practically they are great. Love/hate relationship for me. 05 manual, lights do turn on and off with the parking brake.

·
Registered
97 Posts
09 Sedan LT here and i hate em. Always have. I always turn off my drls just to save the bulbs a lil life. Plus, i hate at night, driving with drls on, tailights not on, makes me forget to turn on actual lights..lolz id rather not have em.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
09 Sedan LT here and i hate em. Always have. I always turn off my drls just to save the bulbs a lil life. Plus, i hate at night, driving with drls on, tailights not on, makes me forget to turn on actual lights..lolz id rather not have em.
How do you turn off DRLs? Or do you have this mixed up with ambient light sensor?????? You got me puzzled all to hell...

·
Registered
498 Posts
My 2009 has automatic lights and I assume all Cobalts do. Gm has had this option for a while. My lights are always in auto mode and come on when needed. No need to mess with them unless I need brights on. When I drive car without that I sometimes end up taking off at night with no lights on.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My 2009 has automatic lights and I assume all Cobalts do. Gm has had this option for a while. My lights are always in auto mode and come on when needed. No need to mess with them unless I need brights on. When I drive car without that I sometimes end up taking off at night with no lights on.
yeah ive done that a few times in my old car. its nice to have the option for the auto on or the manual option

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just turn the headlight switch down to the off position. IT will show Auto Lamp Control off on DIC.
This also turns off the DRL's.
Not on mine, (And I just physically checked) it shuts off lights but not DRLs.

DRLs are on as soon as you pull out of park(in an auto) and the only way to shut them off is by pulling your parking brake until icon comes "on" (this will also disable cruise) or pulling the DRL fuse or cutting the purple resistive loop wire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.