Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..

I was just looking at a steering wheel on eBay that came off an 07 Cobalt LT, ie it has the radio controls, the cruise controls, and the computer controls to switch from trip to oil consumption etc.

My question is does anyone know if the wiring is there and all's that's needed to add the stereo controls is the steering wheel and possibly a cable and/or fuse..?

It's been my experience that most car companies in order to save time, put everything in there except the connections. I added a heated steering wheel to a buddy's X5. All we had to do was change the steering wheel and the wheel contact ring and all the rest of the wiring was already there, just bundled and tucked away. Same thing with my wife's car that did not come with a CD player in the trunk, but all I had to do was buy the CD player, locate the cables and bolt it into position.

Anywhere to find what might be there, so that I can uprade the steering wheel controls to include the stereo volume/station, maybe add the cruise there..

Thanks in advance
ED (the dad) in NJ

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There are other threads in here about the cruise/steering-wheel...if you install the same-year steering wheel that has cruise buttons it will work -- BUT you have to have the ECM flashed with the info from a Cobalt that has cruise OR find a technician with the know-how and a Tech-2 to enable the cruise in the ECM.

I don't know about the radio buttons.

·
Registered
360 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I heard from a guy in a G5 that did not
have steering wheel buttons, he bought
one and said all wires are there and they
worked just fine after the install......
no reflash required for him ?????????

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Its so dumb how they would do everything you need but not put the cotrole switches in.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I heard from a guy in a G5 that did not
have steering wheel buttons, he bought
one and said all wires are there and they
worked just fine after the install......
no reflash required for him ?????????
So far I've discussed the factory cruise add-on with several Cobalt owners on this forum and CSS.net -- all have had to get a dealer to enable cruise in the ECM.

If the GT owner was lucky enough for it to just work it's possible the cruise had already been enabled, for what ever reason, before he put the wheel on.

You can try just installing the steering wheel but just be prepared to take it to a dealer...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Red

Actually I was more interested in controlling the stereo than the cruise if that makes a difference...? Any thoughts on where to look for that info?

Ed

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When I first researched the cruise control I found that there were no differences between cruise and non-cruise Cobalts, ie...wiring harness was the same, no additional switches, no specific cruise parts -- other then the steering wheel. So we took a chance and found it would work after getting the ECM flashed.

The radios are different depending on the type you have...RPO: UE1, U2K, or UQ3. These use different harnesses not only between 2 and 4 door models but between radios so I can't tell if all the wiring you would need is already there to make the buttons work. My only advice would be to try it and hope it works. Sorry I can't be of more help here...radios have never been my "cup-of-tea"...

·
Banned
292 Posts
i'll just get a column switch one put on, not need for a whole new steeringwheel i find volume controls and that stuff to be annoying specially with aftermarket headunits and such.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The radios are different depending on the type you have...RPO: UE1, U2K, or UQ3. These use different harnesses not only between 2 and 4 door models but between radios so I can't tell if all the wiring you would need is already there to make the buttons work. My only advice would be to try it and hope it works. Sorry I can't be of more help here...radios have never been my "cup-of-tea"...
Thanks again.. How do I find what kind of radio I have, ie it's a single CD, AM-FM, clock, port for Ipod.. dont know anything else.. Also is there any worry about the Anti Theft protection ie, according to the manual if the radio is disconnected it MAY go into THEFTLOCK mode... or is it paired up already..
Sorry for asking so many questions but it's my preferred way to learn vs tearing stuff apart and having to pay somone to put it back together.

Advice greatly appreciated..

Ed in NJ

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks again.. How do I find what kind of radio I have, ie it's a single CD, AM-FM, clock, port for Ipod.. dont know anything else.. Also is there any worry about the Anti Theft protection ie, according to the manual if the radio is disconnected it MAY go into THEFTLOCK mode... or is it paired up already..
Sorry for asking so many questions but it's my preferred way to learn vs tearing stuff apart and having to pay somone to put it back together.

Advice greatly appreciated..

Ed in NJ
Good idea...the radio is tied into the Body Control Module (BCM). Just doing something to the radio can cause electrical headaches according to some who have tried things on their own.

I have no experience either with the radio buttons in the steering wheel -- it may be that they would work considering CherryGT's response above.

I just looked in the Parts book hoping the radio switches would list what radio (RPO number) works with the controls -- no luck -- only shows color and whether or not the wheel is leather. It may be possible that the SW radio buttons will work with all the radios.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good idea...the radio is tied into the Body Control Module (BCM). Just doing something to the radio can cause electrical headaches according to some who have tried things on their own.

I have no experience either with the radio buttons in the steering wheel -- it may be that they would work considering CherryGT's response above.

I just looked in the Parts book hoping the radio switches would list what radio (RPO number) works with the controls -- no luck -- only shows color and whether or not the wheel is leather. It may be possible that the SW radio buttons will work with all the radios.
Well, I've taken the plunge.. I found an 07 wheel for under $100 shipped (new) leather, and with all the control buttons. So, I'll know more soon once I get the wheel and the time (and compliant weather) to do the replacement.

Red, would you happen to know the Torque Spec for the bolt that holds the steering wheel onto the column? I'm an old fashioned guy who doesnt go by feel but actually goes by torque specs :bigsmile:

Thanks again
Ed

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Red, would you happen to know the Torque Spec for the bolt that holds the steering wheel onto the column? I'm an old fashioned guy who doesnt go by feel but actually goes by torque specs :bigsmile:

Thanks again
Ed
Here is the torque spec...and some others...
Steering Wheel Nut...41 N.m, 30 lb ft.
Steering Column Jacket Bolt...11 N.m, 97 lb in
Steering Column Trim Cover Screw...2 N.m, 18 lb in
Steering Column Mounting Bolt...25 N.m, 18 lb ft

...and let us all know the outcome! Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the torque spec...and some others...
Steering Wheel Nut...41 N.m, 30 lb ft.
Steering Column Jacket Bolt...11 N.m, 97 lb in
Steering Column Trim Cover Screw...2 N.m, 18 lb in
Steering Column Mounting Bolt...25 N.m, 18 lb ft

...and let us all know the outcome! Good luck!

I'll be taking pix and letting everyone know the outcome..

Thanks for the torque specs.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased the cruise and radio switches thinking I could install them and the radio and cruise would work. Not so. There was no wiring to the radio switches inside the steering wheel. And the only wiring to the cruise switches was incomplete was for the information part and not the cruise part. So I'll need to add the wiring. Does anyone have an electrical schematic of the wiring harness inside the steering wheel? I could use that to add the wires needed. Otherwise, I'll need to find the wiring harness that fits inside the steering wheel, and I'm afraid that will be difficult. Thanks

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I purchased the cruise and radio switches thinking I could install them and the radio and cruise would work. Not so. There was no wiring to the radio switches inside the steering wheel. And the only wiring to the cruise switches was incomplete was for the information part and not the cruise part. So I'll need to add the wiring. Does anyone have an electrical schematic of the wiring harness inside the steering wheel? I could use that to add the wires needed. Otherwise, I'll need to find the wiring harness that fits inside the steering wheel, and I'm afraid that will be difficult. Thanks
What year Cobalt? I've researched the wiring before but did not find any "cruise control" specific wiring in the parts books.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cruise Control for 07 Cobalt LT

My car's an 07 LT. I bought the cruise control buttons thinking that's all I would need, but then discovered that there's no wiring in the steering wheel. I would buy a steering wheel, but I'm afraid I'll end up with the wiring from the steering wheel to the pcm might be missing. I know the aftermarket controls work. Maybe I'll go that route if I can't get the info I need. Neil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.