Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys! So I did an LED swap on a few of the lights on my cobalt, but I've run into an issue. My dome light stays dimly lit, even when the car is off. It's quite annoying, it doesn't drain the battery, so it's not that urgent but would a resistor help turn it off (only solution I could think of) or what would you guys recommend? I looked on the interwebs and other vehicles have this issue but no fix, at least not from what I read.

Thanks!

Also, if there's a thread already for this, point me in that direction.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You need to solder in a 1-2 ohm resistor. A regular bulb has that resistance while LED's don't.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I thought you could buy leds with this resistor already in place?

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 04 cavalier is like that. I have a 48 LED brick in mine. Basically a black light haha. It stays dimmly lit. I dont even notice it anymore

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You need to solder in a 1-2 ohm resistor. A regular bulb has that resistance while LED's don't.
You can't put a 1-to 2 ohm, that would mean 7 to 14 amp draw. 14 Watts of power would get very hot.

I'm going to do mine in a couple of weeks I will come up with a solution and let you guys know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same issue, I soldered a small resistor across the leads and it draws enough current that the "glow" went away! The resistor I used was small, 47k ohm. One of these:
Explain across the leads, you mean, just the positive? or what. Also thanks for all the replies guys!!

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think it is just installed as a bleeder resistor to either side of the LED bulb.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I had to go down to 12KΩ to stop mine from glowing. It probably depends on how much standing wave is on the wire that goes to BCM and how sensitive your LEDs are. I live under a radio transmitter and a TV tower so a lot more RF for the LED to rectify. I only had 1.6 Volts and it was enough to make it glow just enough to be annoying.

E²/R=P, 14.3V²/12KΩ = 17mw on the resistor when dome light is on so a ⅛Watt or ¼Watt is OK to use here. Mine was a ½Watt but it's what I had floating around.

I haven't checked it at night yet to see if afterglow is completely gone, but I couldn't see any when shading it.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Light "ON"

Light "OFF"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.