Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s assume I’ve got an ‘08 sedan, and I found a totaled (t-boned) ‘09 SS for a steal at auction.
How easily will the engine, transmission, turbo, etc. fit?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Assuming this is a coupe you’ve found, plan on doing a wiring swap. I believe the sedan will have some electrical that will not be the same. I could be wrong but without looking at a wiring diagram I could be wrong. Now if you found an SS sedan, it would unfortunately not have a turbo or supercharged engine, but would have the higher output 2.4 liter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming this is a coupe you’ve found, plan on doing a wiring swap. I believe the sedan will have some electrical that will not be the same. I could be wrong but without looking at a wiring diagram I could be wrong. Now if you found an SS sedan, it would unfortunately not have a turbo or supercharged engine, but would have the higher output 2.4 liter.
It’s the 2.0 turbo. So just just wiring? I want to keep the four speed auto transmission my sedan came with if possible (just a daily driver preference), but would I have to move over to the five speed? I’ve heard the autos can theoretically take more hp than the manuals but I don’t want to bother if it will take a lot of fabrication to port over.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Now if you found an SS sedan, it would unfortunately not have a turbo or supercharged engine, but would have the higher output 2.4 liter.
Not necessarily - they did make an SS/TC sedan starting in 2009. They're quite rare. The SS/NA sedans were renamed "Sport" for the 2008 model year and on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For 2009 there was an SS Turbo sedan but as previously stated, they are extremely rare. I think around 900 were made. For 2008 you could get a high output sedan or coupe referred to as the Cobalt Sport, came with the 2.4 ecotec and had the FE3 suspension. By 2009 the Cobalt Sport was no longer an option but you could get the sport appearance package on 2LT models but it had the base 2.2vvt engine along with the FE1 suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For 2009 there was an SS Turbo sedan but as previously stated, they are extremely rare. I think around 900 were made. For 2008 you could get a high output sedan or coupe referred to as the Cobalt Sport, came with the 2.4 ecotec and had the FE3 suspension. By 2009 the Cobalt Sport was no longer an option but you could get the sport appearance package on 2LT models but it had the base 2.2vvt engine along with the FE1 suspension.
I suppose my question still remains then, how well will everything from an ‘09 coupe port over? Everything should be as easy as unbolting and bolting it back over right? Apart from wiring.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You will want to use the 09 ECU and engine wiring harness, exhaust, the transmission is your choice. You will need to bond the SS’s ECU to your BCM with a TechII.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Along with the ECU swap and reflash to bcm, you will also need the LNF turbo in tank fuel pump. I don’t know if it’s plug and play. Also, if you don’t swap the brake components I believe you will run into braking issues since abs and electronic brake force distribution.

editing my post:
If you’re swapping the engine/tranny then you will also have to swap the steering knuckles since the SS turbo has a different steering knuckle for the axles. At that point you will have to convert the rear axles to 5 lug if they aren’t already. I’m still not certain if you will have issues with the brakes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
editing my post:
If you’re swapping the engine/tranny then you will also have to swap the steering knuckles since the SS turbo has a different steering knuckle for the axles.....
Part of what you posted is correct yet I must take issue with the rest.
Yes, the 09 SS does have a different steering knuckle vs 08. This will cause the need for a different ball joint/Lower Control arm vs 07-08.
Yet with the 1/2 shafts he has that match the transmissions that he has, they will work just fine. Then the choice is if one wants to replace just the 4 lug hubs for 5 lug hubs in the front.
As to disk brakes, for the rear, going from drum to disk will necessitate the center e-brake cable and both rear cables. Might wish to check if the 09 Sport rear axel has the extra sway bar welded in and if so just swap out the rear axel assembly. The use the 09 brake proportioning valve. Then as they say across the pond, “Bob’s your uncle”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts