Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't get lowering springs they are junk. All They do is make you ride around with your struts partly compressed, which increases the chance of them blowing out by alot and makes your car ride like crap. If you want to lower your car do it the right way and get coilovers, for example Stance. Stance coilovers let you lower your car without compressing your struts, you won't find a better ride and handling anywhere else for that price.
I know that coilovers are more money but I can't stress how more your going to get for your money. Being able to adjust the height, camber and how hard/soft you want the dampers ROCK! Save money, it's worth waiting for. I know some people will disagree saying oh I've had lowering springs for so long (whatever brand, eibach, ect.) and I love them, but the smart ones that have track exp will agree big time with me. I just want the best for our fellow members. This should be up at the top of the suspension forum so all the new/current members know the cold hard truth.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yes a good option for cheaper than coilovers is to get lowering springs... But instead of just buying lowering springs, get the FE5 shocks and struts, from the cobalt SS/TC, and you wont have to worry about blowing out your shocks/struts or wearing them down way faster. I believe you can get decent springs for 150-300 depending and you can buy the FE5 struts and shocks from Crate Engine Depot

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
if you don't buy new struts/shocks than yes you will eventually blow them out most likely...but see if you buy GOOD struts/shocks like the FE5 for the base model or Koni's then you'll be ok because they're built to handle the lower suspension

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
lmao^ wait till foxmus gets in here or Xfe foxmus has been running springs for a long time and he has never had a problem at all

·
Registered
810 Posts
most random shit ever...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
^ You are an epic fail...

The OP is right, but really- coilovers just aren't necessary for these daily driver shitboxes. A lot of people can't afford it. Personally, I'd just rather fork up the cash for the coilovers, and have the piece of mind that I have a top quality adjustable suspension that will probably outlast the car. You can get Megans for what, just over $900? Springs and new struts come out to $300-600 depending on the kits you buy it, but yeah I just wouldnt ever install them on a Cobalt cause- you know :bigsmile: unless it was an SS.

It would be cool of someone found a way to adapt raceland coilovers to our cars, those kits are around $250 for a full set. But they only make them for VWs, BMWs, Scions, and I think Hondas.

A guy I know has a set on his BMW 318 and hes scraping the ground with them, nice stance and firm handling.

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
wow always so harsh to me lol.

Im just saying there are alot of cobalts at there that run just springs and they have never had any problems with the shocks or struts and they have been running just springs for a long time. i understand after time they were. (which im going to guess is a very long time) But in time the shocks and struts are going to wear.

·
Registered
745 Posts
im thinkin this guy just had a bad experience too lol. seriously, most people arent worried about the track, most of us drive around town and look nice, which isnt harming anything. now lowering springs + potholes,dips, holes, crap concrete= that doesnt mix. seriously Lobalt is driving around on cut springs and stock shocks so it really cant be that bad. when you spend 100-300$ on springs, you buy the best struts/shocks (fe5), and upgrade so other suspension components, theres your 900$ right there. granted you cant adjust anything, but you have a perfect ride.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a yellow koni setup with my lowering springs and love it. No problems at all and koni is guaranteed for life. I am however going to be upgrading to air ride now that I am having a body kit installed and have very little clearance. If coilovers height adjustment was easier I would consider that option but most involve removing everything to adjust them. Air ride is a simple push of a button once installed

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Air ride is a good setup, but replacing bags every 2-3 years makes me :wacko:.

As for the people saying you can ride on stock struts, they WILL blow more often than not.. Almost all of the people here riding on FE1 suspension with lowered springs don't have many miles on their suspension cept for Foximus. They will blow out, its just a question of when- they aren't designed to ride around partially compressed like that. You'll be fine with FE5 or Konis, its a good setup for a daily driver, I'm definitely not advocating coilovers for everyone- its overkill if you don't actually drive your or car take it to the track and want the suspension benefits.. For a pure drop, drop springs are definitely the more affordable option.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
As I said before, the smart people ( NitroheadZ28 ) will agree other people will whine and *****. I drive my car as a daily driver and on the track and my track times dropped secs off lap times when I installed my coilovers and got them dialed in.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Dude, I definitely agree with you on the point that coilovers are far superior in every way possible for performance and style.. But for the average joe who wants his car to look decent, and just uses it to commute and go grocery shopping- drop springs just make more sense.

Not a question of intelligence, more of practicality and affordability.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Dude, I definitely agree with you on the point that coilovers are far superior in every way possible for performance and style.. But for the average joe who wants his car to look decent, and just uses it to commute and go grocery shopping- drop springs just make more sense.

Not a question of intelligence, more of practicality and affordability.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.