Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I went threw a car wash near me in Monroe MI. The name of the place for all that want to know is Don's Car Wash and is located on N. Monroe Just past the Autozone. I have gone to this place multiple times and really liked the service until yesterday afternoon. I didn't notice right away what had happened until later on in the day. Apparently the rail or transport system completely destroyed my front driverside rim as well as scuff one area on the rear driverside. I took the car back to them and showed the owner the damage and he denied any fault of his equipment and tried telling me that I did it by hitting a curb. Mind you the mark is consistent and goes around the entire rim. I don't know why I would ever be pulling up to a curb on my driverside; I don't live in England. Anyways here are pics of the damage and you may want to reconsider taking your car threw an automatic car wash in the future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's times like this I'm gladthe ones around my town don't use a transport system, you just drive in, put you front wheels on top of two small ramps and sit there until the machine finishes it's business then go on your squeeky clean way.

Sorry about your rims though, I would be mad pissed at that place if that happened to me :| Go sabotage the place and rig it to shoot out thinly sliced deli ham at people's cars instead of water.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Yes that does suck but any business that places warnings need to be carefully looked at. I have never used those kind of car washes, even with cheap steelies. They also have the tendency to ruin steering components from the pulling and grinding on the rails. I only use touchless washes that you drive and stop.

·
Registered
610 Posts
lawsuit?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yeah i never took my car to a auto car wash. Only time its been to a car wash was a hand car wash with the moving ground. No rails the tires fit in.

·
Registered
610 Posts
personally i like washing my own car because i make sure its REALLY clean. auto car washes are nice but arent the most efficient way to get squeeky clean.

·
Registered
416 Posts
A town I used to live in had some "punks" connecting ROCKS to the wash strings that hit your car. you can only imagine the damage that caused. I stopped using car washes after that.:notrust:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Apparently the rail or transport system completely destroyed my front driverside rim as well as scuff one area on the rear driverside.
I had the same problem but got off easy: the rim was scratched only in one spot. I used another car wash before, the kind where you drive in and park inside and never had any problems. I think the damage with these ancient rail-pulley kind of car washes occurs when you have large tires (17" and more). Your rim sits low and the rail hits it. They probably designed these washes ages ago when most people used 14" wheels: then the only spot the rail could scratch is the tire, the rim would be too high. That's my theory anyway. This was the last time I used that car wash :notrust:

·
Registered
169 Posts
touch less car washes are the only ones cobalts like. Those things that bang against the car is a horrid experience. touchless wont get it 100% but it does do quite a good job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.