Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i just bought some infinity speaker to go in my door cause i blew the stock ones lol. any way i removed the old speaker + mount and drilled new wholes for the infinti. after installing the left side and reassembling the door i realized the sound is not too hot. I dont think its the speaker, should i consider adding some sort of foam or padding behind the speaker? or what could cause the lack of bass in the speaker?

If there are any tips or suggestions i would greatly appreciate them.

THANKS

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
BB has dynomat. You can try adding cotton foam there as well, as it will help with the recoil and keep the speaker stabilized. As far as bass, unless you have an aftermarket H/U, you're probably not going to be getting much bass out of the infinities, as the power ratings for them are much higher than the stock H/U puts out. But if you figure something out, let us know. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
mind telling me the exact kind of speakers you got there? you could have wired them up wrong. i've known some "component" speakers to have two ways to hook them up. one hooks them up with a massive bass blocker and the other doesnt. also, do you have the factory headunit?

and as far as buying dynamat, i really havent found anybody that could ever beat the price you can get it for on ebay.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
^^yep ebay is the best polace. And check out the fatmat stuff it is MUCH cheaper for the SAME product, i got 50 square foot for my old civic's trunk, definitely noticed a difference. You can get the regular fatmat or the rattletrap which is thicker and sticks a bit better than the regular dynamat and fatmat (but still the same brand as the fatmat). it's good stuff.

·
Registered
294 Posts
might also wanna try replacing the speaker wire. sometimes new speakers need upgraded speaker wires

·
Registered
273 Posts
sounds like it doesnt have enough watts from the headunit.

mind telling me the exact kind of speakers you got there? you could have wired them up wrong. i've known some "component" speakers to have two ways to hook them up. one hooks them up with a massive bass blocker and the other doesnt. also, do you have the factory headunit?

and as far as buying dynamat, i really havent found anybody that could ever beat the price you can get it for on ebay.
I can score pieces of it at work. we use a different brand but its the same thing. we put it on the inside of our Ford engine covers (dog box).

·
Registered
394 Posts
It could be the way you mounted the speaker directly onto the door. I did this recently with some 2-way kickers, and rather than drilling into the door, I used the old speaker mounts. It required cutting the speaker out and drilling into the old mount, but it worked great. There's a more detailed post in the how-to section.

...Not sure if that will effect the sound though. But dynamat shouldn't be necessary, i don't have any and mine sound great.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had the same problem as you when I replaced my junk GM speakers. I put a set of Infinity 6.5" in my doors and they sounded terrible. My Pioneer head unit wasnt pushing nearly enough power to em so I sold em to a buddy of mine and got a pioneer premier 6.5" set which has a way lower watts rms power rating, and they sound great. If your running off your stock, or even a aftermarket head unit your speakers will be wayyyy under powered. Just some food for thought, but unless you dont plan on running an amp, cheaper speakers will sound better for you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.