Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah.. had a friend get in the car yesterday... opened the pass. door, got in, closed the door.. and now the door cannot be opened from the inside or outside.

Any thoughts on a resolution or cause? Did some quick searches on the forum and couldn't find anything related.

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Power or manual locks? What type of car? Guessing one of the arms or latches came off inside the door panel. You'll probably have to try & get the inside panel off to see what came apart...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Cable must have come undone from the striker. Is your door lock knob loose and floppy or is it operating as normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car/General Specs:
2 Door Coupe, LT, Electric/Power Locks & Windows. Outdoor Temps @40* F

Update - So I finally took a moment to look at the car... tried comparing to the drivers side door.. and ended up locking myself inside the car. Both doors (2dr coupe) ended up locking/freezing and would not open from the inside or outside. Ended up requiring someone to release the rear seats so I could climb out of the car from the trunk.. that was a joy. After jiggling/ trying to open the door via the door handles from the outside for about 3 minutes I able able to get both doors to open. When he doors weren't functioning.. the door handles did not have the normal tension... but then regained the tension when they started opening/closing regularly... weird.

I wasn't able to pull the panels off tonight unfortunately, but I feel this is more of an issue with the latch mechanism/lock mechanism than it is with the cable. But seriously... what are the odds of both doors doing this in the span of 6 hours? Gah.

Threw some lithium grease into both latch mechanisms.. repeatedly opened and closed both doors to work the grease inside. I am hoping this resolves the issue. I will post more updates as things happen. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
YeH that's exactly what mine does.. passenger side. I sprayed carb cleaner in the latch and it has been working fine since then. I need to repaint my panels so when it's warm I'll take it off and check it all out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
922 Posts
Kinda off topic, but it sounds funny that you were lock in the car... LOL usually the other way around...

·
Registered
922 Posts
There was slight second where I pictured my self stuck in my car with manual windows.... LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not gonna lie, there was a brief moment of panic.. It was sort of.. "you have got to be kidding me". I was out in my garage... in the middle of winter... no keys in the car..and no one would have swung by to check on me. Had I not had my cell phone in the car, I either would have spent the night in the cobalt or had to break a window. Neither of which seemed like a good idea for obvious reasons. Let's just hope the doors keep working!

After this situation I might consider going to manual windows on my next car ;) haha. Or I just need to get a spare key made and keep it hiddin in the car somewhere.. but seriously.. what are the odds of both door mechanisms failing within hours of each other?

·
Registered
922 Posts
just keep your keys in your pocket.... lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
When your door does that, pull the inside latch about half way, then reach out and pull the one on the outside. Of course, you'll need your keys so you can roll your windows down. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.