Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2006 2.2 with 180,300 miles and I was wondering if I ever have to service the auto trans? Will this many miles hurt anything? or leave it be?

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
At 180k, I'd be leery of changing the filter. Usually best to leave it at that kind of mileage if it has never been changed.

That said, you can change the fluid if you like - but only do a little bit at a time. Drain out a small amount, then fill the trans up with fresh fluid, drive it around for a few days, repeat a good few times until the fluid you're draining is all new.

Auto transmissions can get real pissy at higher mileages if it's run the same fluid/filter the whole time. Changing fluid can actually create issues, unless done very, very gradually.

My Cavalier had 256k miles (before I wrecked it), and I had no interest in changing the brown trans fluid, since I knew that car's attitude towards me helping it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you! I’m at 186k now and my local trans shop said that I should change the filter too or a fluid change would be pointless. I know I need to listen to cobalt owners before a shop but I was just wondering. Transmission shifts totally normal and everything works properly I just don’t know service history and want this car to last for 200k+

Add: also the owners manual says it does not need changing unless you drive it in regular traffic in 90F or in mountain or hilly areas or towing. I visit the mountains often but not all the time. And I push my rpms pretty high up there sometime. Opinions??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.