Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an 06 LT2 with the stock speaker system and radio, no XM or onstar. My driver's side speaker wont play sound at all. I pulled the trim off and took a mulitmeter to the speaker and got 4 ohms as the speaker should be putting out. So now my thought is if its not the speaker then, it must be the wiring going to it. How can I check the wiring, I tried getting into the black tube holding the wiring but had no luck, and I've had trouble getting some of the trim off to access the head unit. Anything I'm missing or other ides as to what may be causing it? thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try playing music then put the mm up to the leads on the speaker no voltage or something really off the wall your prob grounding out somewhere or something came disconnected. If you not the first owner of the car chances are they had a diff head unit in and when the old one was put back in they did a crappy job.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I dont get how u measured the speaker. If u wanna check the wires just hook the meter up to the wires...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have an '08 and have the same problem, but mine comes and goes. I am pretty sure at this point that it is either the wiring or some thing came loose in or on the deck. Going to replace the wiring first and if that doesn't work I will try pulling the deck and see if anything in or on the deck is loose. Fortunately I know how to solder pretty well so if it is the deck I may be able to fix it. When I figure out what exactly the problem is I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have an 07 sedan and have the same problem, just gives me an excuse to get the wife to go along with getting new upgraded speakers and get rid of all the Hecho in Mexico crap

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I gave up on the stock head unit. I am now waiting for ups to show up with my new hu. I got a Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB, as well as the necessary xm receiver. Pioneer USA - Premier CD Receivers

Can't wait to get them installed.

·
Registered
670 Posts
your not alone

ok buddy, the same thing happened to my 08 cobalt. same door. everything else was fine. speaker did in fact work cause i disconnected it and hooked it up to a radio in the house and it did work. i went and got a new speaker for the door. disconnected the old one, did a little cutting and fitting, and i used the same connection that the stock speaker was on, and it worked. it was the wierdest thing but thats all i did was replace the speaker. no loose connections or anything. hope you got it fixed by now though since the post aint new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 07
Driver side speaker not working. IT does work sometime but 75% of the time it dose not. I have also noticed that the seatbelt warning bell and all other warning bells and whistles don’t work. Even the blinkers don’t make any noise. If the warning bells are working the door speaker is also working. Like I said this is about 75% of the time there not working. If the warning bells are not working the speaker is not working, like they are wired together. Strange??
Would like to get a new system just to up grade but wonder if I need new wiring also?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Got my new head unit installed and still had the same problem. It turns out that the magnets on the stock speakers were completely shot. I put in a set of sony'[s and they sound awesome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm having this same problem. I bought the car and the day I bought it, they worked. One time, being the stupid 19 year old I am, I was swerving because I noticed as I took a turn they worked and after swerving a few times (did I mention I was at 70mph? I'm stupid) the speaker came on. I did this for a few weeks when they messed up (not on the interstate!) and now I NEVER have a driver's door speaker. Drives me crazy especially since I have so much bass now. Anybody getting ready to mod this have a video camera and would be as so kind as to record how they do the mod? I think there are screws in the door handle and the armrest, but not sure?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.