Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well using autoguide's search I couldn't really find anything exactly like this. I want this to be here for everyone to share what they know about driving manual. If you have tips or tricks.. share them. If you have questions, ask them.

I am fairly new to driving manual. My question in this new thread is .. does rev matching hurt the clutch or engine? I feel like it would actually reduce wear. And that is what I was told, but I'm not an expert. Some say it harms the vehicle, others say it helps reduces wear.. which is true? Both?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I still maintain that when done right, rev matching a downshift is no more harmful to your car than a regular upshift. If you're really concerned about wear, pop it into neutral and coast, but in doing so you'll lose valuable engine braking, decrease fuel economy due to negating DFCO and you'll have no power in the event of an emergency. Also, it's a great way to increase the wear on your brakes. Plus, downshifting makes you look badass. When approaching a stop, I'll go from 5th, to 4th, then to 3rd, and clutch in at 1500 rpm. When I want power, I'll jump from 5th to 3rd (or 2nd if possible) and give her the beans. Car instantly wakes up and pulls hard.

Downshifting is an invaluable skill for any and all manual drivers to learn and master.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I wear a size 12.

The problem is the pedal spacing is too far apart, especially when compared to a European or Japanese car. The clutch and brake are aligned, but the gas pedal is recessed a ways deeper. Heel-and-toeing is possible, but it would require considerable dexterity and/or pedal repositioning.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rev matching is the industry standard. The alternative to rev matching is having your clutch grab the flywheel and try to spin the engine up the proper speed in an instant. Even if you don't get it exactly right, rev matching makes this process easier on the drivetrain by narrowing the difference in speed between the engine and the wheels, resulting in a much smoother shift and less potential wear on the components involved.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure if the pedals are different on the ss. I only drove it once for a short time(test drive) and I never tried to heel/toe it. I'm check it out when I pick it up.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Rev matching is the industry standard. The alternative to rev matching is having your clutch grab the flywheel and try to spin the engine up the proper speed in an instant. Even if you don't get it exactly right, rev matching makes this process easier on the drivetrain by narrowing the difference in speed between the engine and the wheels, resulting in a much smoother shift and less potential wear on the components involved.
Ok that's what I thought. It really does just feel better on the car. And what you said seems to clear that up a bit for me.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've got that down for the most part. Obviously the car is much different than the old truck I learned on. So shorter shifts, better clutch, easier to put in gear, all that stuff. Once I get used to the differences I'll be pretty well caught up on it

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
When making much higher than stock power levels though it will eventually lead to a blown transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't tried no loft shift because I did read it puts a little more strain on your car. I will try it out eventually. After looking st your pedals pj I think the pedals are actually a little different on my ss. Also.. this thing is crazy fast compared to my base. Wow.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.