Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wasnt really sure whether to post this thread in the cobalt owners lounge or here so here i am. i decided to test out the I that us 4speeds have. i think it stands for incline? anyway, i found that in that gear the car will actually stay at a higher RPM when pressing the gas and when my foot is off the pedal. this in turn increased my accleration. the only negative i found was when slowing down to about the 20-40mph range i felt like my car stalled or lurched for a moment. idk if it really stalled or maybe downshifted? i have a shift plus in on stage 1 if that helps but if anyone else has tried this or knows anything about this i'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
incline or intermediate. when i want a good take off i start in low to about 6.2k rpm's then it will auto shift into second then i shift into third or (I) manually. it's just has more torque. i'm not sure about the stalling. but your in a lower gear and when you step on the gas it feels like it lurches that's normal at least in all the cars that are autos that iv'e driven

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
incline or intermediate. when i want a good take off i start in low to about 6.2k rpm's then it will auto shift into second then i shift into third or (I) manually. it's just has more torque. i'm not sure about the stalling. but your in a lower gear and when you step on the gas it feels like it lurches that's normal at least in all the cars that are autos that iv'e driven
yeah i definitely feel the pull and its great! so which feels like it has more torque, lower or incline/intermediate? and can i stay on either of the two indefinitely without any problems?

·
Registered
114 Posts
some people will say that it can damage you tranny, but it wont. low will shift out of 1st at around 6k rpms and then into second then you can shift into 3rd or I then into d. ive been doing it for years and no problems.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some people will say that it can damage you tranny, but it wont. low will shift out of 1st at around 6k rpms and then into second then you can shift into 3rd or I then into d. ive been doing it for years and no problems.
well thats what the warranty is for anyway lol

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i do it all the time. it comes in handy if you're already drivin too. i mean, sure you could punch the gas and it'll down shit but this seems a bit quicker...plus it just makes you feel cool :p haha

·
Registered
78 Posts
i do it to i been doin it for bout a year now i get better torqe go at 25 like barley on the pedal in in I then nail u feel the best down shift and u will launch. let me know i think u can do it it L too but ya let me know.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that is one nasty downshift. it feels great but made me nervous at the same time. im assuming you get less gas mileage driving on I or L but who cares if we're getting better "performance" lol.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i dont understand how putting it in I or low woud give you more torque? its still the same engine and tranny on the same tune?

But crack open your owners maual, it will tell you about the (I)(intermediate) its just a gear that makes the car shift less often, basiclly for towing stuff. So if you slowing down and speeding up alot it wont shift like how it normally would.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i dont understand how putting it in I or low woud give you more torque? its still the same engine and tranny on the same tune?

But crack open your owners maual, it will tell you about the (I)(intermediate) its just a gear that makes the car shift less often, basiclly for towing stuff. So if you slowing down and speeding up alot it wont shift like how it normally would.
it's not really more torque, but more power at lower rpms, in which would making towing easier.

if you have an auto and you put it in low it will turn off you traction control and you will notice a big difference.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.