1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You will get a check engine light.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Why would you drive without one? Your cooling system was designed with one in it. Without it, your car will take longer to heat up to normal operating temperature and the performance of your cabin heater and windshield defog will be decreased / delayed.

Edit. Nice Plain Jane. I should have refreshed before I hit submit.

Turtle: Someone telling you that there is a pro to running without a thermostat?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you drive without one? Your cooling system was designed with one in it. Without it, your car will take longer to heat up to normal operating temperature and the performance of your cabin heater and windshield defog will be decreased / delayed.

Edit. Nice Plain Jane. I should have refreshed before I hit submit.

Turtle: Someone telling you that there is a pro to running without a thermostat?
I just always thought that a cooler running engine is a better running engine. Maybe just a lower temp thermostat is better. My Cobalt is always garaged so never needed the windshield defog in the mornings. I had a Saturn that the thermostat was stuck open and the engine ran cooler with no problems. Or course it was a different engine.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Thanks everybody for the feed back. Glad that I asked before trying it. Not removing the thermostat for sure at all.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Older carbureted engines didn't mind but they used to run hot in traffic anyway. If you take yours out it will take a long time to get to temperature.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It could even go into limp mode if all the ECM preset criterias aren't met.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Car is both the most efficient when warmed up as well as causing the least wear on itself in the proper operating temps.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah. Move to Siberia.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
For an NA car, you're looking at something as simple as a CAI (cold air intake). It'll scoop up air closer to the ground and away from your engine bay that should in theory be colder and denser (more oxygen molecules present, which should make for a better burn) and produce more power. What it mainly does however is create a better sound when on the throttle due to having the resonators deleted. You can do more like meth injection and for FI cars, run an intercooler/heat exchanger, but that's big boy stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.