Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what could be wrong?? i busted my turn signal and i replaced it... but then my drls won't turn on now headlights come on automaticaly when its getting dark so i'm not sure whats going on.... i have heard about the bcm being bad but how do you fix that? or diagnose that?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check DRL fuse first. Then make sure you don't have a burnt low beam. You need both low beams functionnal for DRL's to work.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Is your park brake lever all the way down?
Could be the relay, but it's a non serviceable part that is soldered to the bottom of the fuse box. If this is the culprit you will need a fusebox. Or maybe the BCM connectors (C1 & C2) need cleaning. Hard to diagnose on line.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
JunkYard!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OK mine is doing the same thing as yours. Drl Lights Not Coming on
I diagnosed that the purple wire loop has a bad connection or it burnt open like a fuse.
When I jumper DRL fuse to low beam fuse I get DRL to come on.
So I'm missing the connection between "A2" & "F4" on C3 of bottom of fuse block.

Anybody know where the purple wire loop for the DRLs is hiding?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Found the not so purple anymore loop !!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
OK, decided to investigate my DRL problem this afternoon since the car was home and I needed to change a headlight anyways. So took the cover off the fuse box, so far so good.

Then undid the boost post (10mm socket).

Removed the 2 wires on terminal, moved wire on opposite corner out of retaining clip and undid the 4 plastic clip that hold fuse block to wheel well bracket.

That white connector (C3) under there is the one concerned, you can even see the purple wire in question.

In the connector you can see the purple loop wire in "A2" and "F4". Purple and yellow wire are crimped together in "F4". This is the same wire that is looped in the harness but everything looks good here. So we will have to look in the harness for an open wire or a cut wire.

Didn't have to go far before I noticed this.

Let's investigate.....

Seperated what's left of the wire loop. (((GM should know better))) If your going to use a wire loop for a resistor it's going to heat-up so why tie it to a bunch of other wires.

Theres what's left of the purple wire loop for DRLs. You can see purple jacket is intact up to this point, this is where I will cut and replace loop.

Can't believe this is the only damage done to the rest of the harness except discoloration of course.

Made a new loop which I will tie seperate from the rest of the harness.

Wired new loop in and placed in seperate armour.

Then I replaced armour on the old harness and tie new harness to it.

Put everything back together and we have DRLs for my daughters safety.
Hope this helps others with similar problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No codes, just makes it harder for others to see you is all. With all the idiots on the road I want to put all odds in my favor.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What do you mean turn them off. The only way you can turn them off is to pull the fuse. It's the 10 amp DRL fuse in the underhood fuse block. Look under the fuse block cover for exact location. In some states it is an offence to pull the DRL fuse. So make sure DRLs are not mandatory in your area or if you travel out of state. They are mandatory everywhere in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I can turn them off but every time I start the car they are back on.
That's not DRL that is your ambient light sensor that's in the shade ,just give it 20 to 30 seconds and it will shut off on its own if it is daytime.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Coby, great investigative work. That is terrible stuff and warrants a FYI to Chevy! If I'm looking at that correctly, this is between the fuse block and headlights? I assume keeping the DRL fuse pulled will eliminate the possibility of this happening to others?

Once again, props.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
That was a good find Coby, wire got fried real good in there, luckily it was only that one

Sent from my PG86100

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Coby, great investigative work. That is terrible stuff and warrants a FYI to Chevy! If I'm looking at that correctly, this is between the fuse block and headlights? I assume keeping the DRL fuse pulled will eliminate the possibility of this happening to others?

Once again, props.
Well it's a loop of about 20 feet of wire that needs to be lost in the harness somewhere and I'm pretty sure the original intentions were to have it run to whole length of the harness and back a few times and not just all coiled up in one spot in 6 or 7 loops like I found mine. Maybe they are not all done the way mine was. Maybe the guy or lady putting it together that day, decided that this would do just as well and bypassed the specifications. Maybe just to lazy to do it the right way, I don't know. Maybe mine had a bad kink, causing it to overheat and snowballed. It's fixed now and I'm fully confident in my work.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.