Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 LS; 65K miles
I have a very stuck drum, and I'm going to get a puller. A couple of posts say they've used the OTC 6980 [1] successfully. But, from the picture, it looks like the dogs might have trouble fitting between the drum and the backing plate. (I have barely 1/8" of clearance.) As an alternative, the Lang 833 look it might fit into a smaller gap, but has worse reviews.

So, if anyone has tried either (or other), I'd appreciate hearing your results, particularly with getting it hooked behind the drum. Thanks.

[1] https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6980-Heavy-Brake-Puller/dp/B004CGOGFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524482794&sr=1-1&keywords=otc+6980

[2] https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-833-Brake-Puller/dp/B007QV85IK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1524483252&sr=8-7&keywords=brake+drum+puller

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
I have the OTC 6980. Never used it on the Cobalt, but I did use it on my Cavalier in order to get the drum off, and it was a godsend. I can't think back to how much it was able to "grab" the drum, but the ratchet strap is there to make sure they don't slip off.

When I did the drums on the Cobalt many years back, I did have some serious trouble getting them off - actually broke a piece off one of them (I had replacements, so I didn't care). The other side wasn't as big of an issue. I think I realized, after the first one, I had the parking brake on...whoops...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(OP) I got one. It doesn't fit - the tooth is much too thick to fit into that 1/8" gap. Alas.

·
Registered
350 Posts
After you do get the drum off, put some anti-seize on the hub. They do have flywheel pullers at Harbor Freight that aren't very expensive. I imagine they'll work for getting a drum off. You may have to remove the little rubber plug on the back to access the adjustment wheel and loosen the brake shoes a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.