Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to convert my rear drum brakes on my 2010 cobalt LT (it has 5 lug hubs).

has anyone does this, is it easy to just swap the ss parts?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You have to swap the whole rear beam axle to go disc brakes

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
You have to swap the whole rear beam axle to go disc brakes
Supposedly Powell Racing makes adapter brackets to mount a caliper back there...but I have never, ever, been able to find it.

SSBC also makes a rear drum to disc swap/upgrade for our cars, and that comes with the correct bracketry (they also make upgraded front brakes), but I've heard bad things about SSBC brakes...I have zero confirmation that they're actually true, though.

I would wonder if you need a different master - or at least a different proportioning valve - to adjust the pressure to the rear discs, since discs require much higher pressure than drums.

I remember my buddy had a '79 F100 and the brakes were absolutely useless - the rear drums would lock up literally immediately, and the front discs did absolutely nothing. Turns out, the previous owner couldn't get his new brake lines to fit into the master correctly, so he used a couple adapters to make them fit...well, they'd have fit it he was connecting them to the right spots - he had the rears plumbed to the front and the fronts plumbed to the rear. They're different sizes so you don't do that...my buddy removed the adapters and connected them correctly without issue. :LOL:

·
Registered
560 Posts
2 votes for MP81 on the valve
Also you will need a new e-brake cable for disk brakes provided you get the rear caliper mounting brackets. These are weldments on the axel beam for disk brake.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes it can be done. I have looked into it in depth and it can be done cheaply, if you have a donor car to pick parts from. I priced things out and it was going to be around $800 to do it cheaply with new parts. That’s without the all disk abs unit which houses the proportioning valve.

I had also looked into just doing a 5 lug swap with rear drums. That’s a bit cheaper. Parts can be used from a later model Cobalt or HHR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts