1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to try a new set of E3.66 plugs in my 2010 Cobalt LT 2.2 eco tec
looking for some opinions on them
The Positive and Negative
I didnt want to buy the cheapest but I didnt want to buy the most expensive either so i went in the middle with these...
Im kind of weary on them though because ive never heard of the brand before was hoping someone on here could shed some light for me

Other information:
Trying new plugs because 14 MPG is just not cutting it any more (trying the cheaper routes first before i get into buying replacement parts)
and also trying STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner..guy at the counter recommended that I shouldn't use the cleaner on a new set of plugs??
Thanks
And very sorry if this is in the wrong spot

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Never heard of anybody getting good results with those plugs in an ecotec. But please let us know how you make out, also let us know if they come pregapped for your 2.2L. Personally I would have stuck with the OEM dual iradium ACDelco plugs. I also would have used the GM fuel treatment because I've had good results with it. I don't work for GM, it just happens that in this case I've found these to be the best.

Do you have a check engine light on?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost certian that Im bringing these plugs back and going with something better...something was telling me I should buy them
No there is no check engine light..odd

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Have you owned your Cobalt since day one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try new fuel filter and stock plugs. If that doesnt cut it, im assuming your injectors are clogged. If thats the case, I have some stock injectors you can buy if you want
Im gonna hold off on the filter right now as i have no way of getting it changed at the moment..Im not actually home so I would rather wait until I am home to do something like that
I will be tring differnet plugs for sure
Ill be bringing them E3s back and getting the AC Delco ones
And appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind

Have you owned your Cobalt since day one?
No

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe the previous seller if it was a used car dealer taped over the check engine light like some we've seen on here. Maybe take it in to have codes checked because what you describe sure sounds like a failed HO² and your engine is runing in open loop all the time. Shaddy dealers do this all the time.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Unless you have your own code reader of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the previous seller if it was a used car dealer taped over the check engine light like some we've seen on here. Maybe take it in to have codes checked because what you describe sure sounds like a failed HO² and your engine is runing in open loop all the time. Shaddy dealers do this all the time.

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Unless you have your own code reader of course.
Apreciate the concern and helpfulness but I assure you that this is not the case. The car came from my father :)
I too have though it might be an O2 sensor
Is there a cheap way to see if thats my problem as I dont have a lot of money to get this looked at..can an o2 sensor be cleaned perhaps?

·
Registered
172 Posts
no but it should b throwing a code if that. go to autozone or somewhere with reader and get codes read for free to c

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would never recommend E3 plugs to any vehicle, its basically a spark plug to get you from where your stuck to home, then toss out. I would recommend what OE uses, the AC Delco Iridiums, best plug to last you 100k mileage, averagely.

For 14mpg, do you have any smell of fuel odor after the vehicle has turned off? Checked the air filter or notice any unusual idle?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Maybe your brakes are dragging? Happened to me last week, RF brake, car was pulling right and wouldn't roll when riding the clutch. A quick couple of pumps at a red light and she let go. I'm overdue for brake inspection/service anyways.

Have you noticed any symptoms like that? Poor performance, car slows down while coasting too quickly? Perhaps a burnt odor? E-brake light on (!)? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well he might have that fuel odor recall that GM put out last year. That supposed to make you lose about 10 mpg all by itself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no but it should b throwing a code if that. go to autozone or somewhere with reader and get codes read for free to c
I would never recommend E3 plugs to any vehicle, its basically a spark plug to get you from where your stuck to home, then toss out. I would recommend what OE uses, the AC Delco Iridiums, best plug to last you 100k mileage, averagely.

For 14mpg, do you have any smell of fuel odor after the vehicle has turned off? Checked the air filter or notice any unusual idle?
I will be doing that for sure thanks

Yeah those E3s are going back later today and ill get the Ac Delcos
No there is no smell or leaks of anykind..I replace the air filter about 4000 klms ago I could give it another look, there is a unusual idle though ( nothing major you really need to feel for it)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also think about a leak in the fuel lines
Ive checked the ground after being parked for some time and No leaks and I dont smell anyhting after being parked or driving (not saying I dont have a leak or smell though and Im just missing it)

Maybe your brakes are dragging? Happened to me last week, RF brake, car was pulling right and wouldn't roll when riding the clutch. A quick couple of pumps at a red light and she let go. I'm overdue for brake inspection/service anyways.

Its possible i guess but it doesnt really feel like it (Mineke gives free brake inspections so maybe ill give it a shot anyway just to see)

Have you noticed any symptoms like that? Poor performance, car slows down while coasting too quickly? Perhaps a burnt odor? E-brake light on (!)? Just a thought.
Yeah sometime it looses power going up a hill..ive found a few times the car slowes down to quickly yes (Im having the brakes looked at today I get a burnt after coming up a hill spinning a bit.Winter here No Ebrake light

Well he might have that fuel odor recall that GM put out last year. That supposed to make you lose about 10 mpg all by itself.
Anywhere I can read about that? This intrigues me to find more information

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

My guess is a clogged fuel filter or youre leaking around the tank (theres a recall for that).
I just read the thread on this recall. Im from canada I dont know if that matters or not and someone mentioned in the thread that the cars effected were the 07-09s is that true? mine is a 10

I have no clue about how recalls work is there a site that i can say put in my vin # and it will tell me or do i just bring it to the dealer..and the car is out of warenty now aswell does that effect these recall stuff

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Warranty has nothing to do with safety recalls. Just because your car doesnt fall into the known year issue category, if youre experiencing the same problem, they should fix it for you. You could also simply call a dealership with your vin too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.