Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a tune from trifecta for my 05 Balt base coupe I was told to use e89 to see the horsepower increase. I wasnt sure if this was true. Are there any harmful effects from using a higher octane? Are there any positive results? Right now im getting 22 mpg with a cold air intake and header.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, he's right, 10% Ethanol here in the states. There is never any negative to running a higher octane fuel. Since you are now tuned, I'm assuming you're now tuned to run a higher octane fuel and your car will work better with that higher octane. People will correct me if I'm wrong but I know that you won't do any damage running a higher octane.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
87 is regular gas. The tune you got is for that. I've been running 93 recently for cooler combustion temps, seems to run a little better but no overly notable difference.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Kmac probably knows what im talking about since we're both from upstate ny. Some of the yellow labels on pumps say e87 etc

Really? Im from Ky. There's a little tag at the tops of the pumps that say may contain up to 10% ethanol. But nothing beside the octane number. Get me a pic please, I'd like to see that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Which did they tell you to use when you got the tune?

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Perhaps he's thinking of E85 pumps, here's a pic of that

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Which did they tell you to use when you got the tune?

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Perhaps he's thinking of E85 pumps, here's a pic of that

Yeah. Our pumps look like that. No e in front of the octane ratings.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Trifecta said 89 but im not sure if they meant specially for me

89 it is then.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Cleaner, more combustion, lower temp. That's all. Like I said I run 93 as much as possible.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you are just dd the car it won't really matter. I do it to squeeze out that little extra for racing. Probably not worth the added cost for you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.