1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Works better with the proper tool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just used a jack and a 3/8 rebar and jacked the tensionner from underneath the car. Took 10 minutes to replace the belt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just nudged the rebar underneath the tensioner and then just jacked the rebar with a floor jack enough to relieve the tension on the belt.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got damn that was hard to do. The tool was too long and the firewall got in the way to get the proper leverage so I had to bend the tool and zip tie it to something in the engine bay just so I could put the belt around the last pulley.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just changed my serpentine belt yesterday. My magic tools? A 2"x4" and a 1"x4" I had in the garage. The 1x4 fit up under the tensioner. Cut it to length (about 2'). Used the 2x4 to make a lever under the car. I lined it up, my kid pushed down on the lever and voila! Belt tensioner released and pulled the belt off and replaced it in under 5 minutes. Of course I had to take the damn tire off and remove the plastic shield first.

Scrap wood in the garage has infinite usage, I've found. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
that's close to what I did. I had a piece of scrap wood that was long enough to relieve tension by positioning under the tensioner and let the car down a little.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.