Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read more than a few postings describing the many steps needed to remove and replace the Cobalt rear speakers.

I own a new 2010 Cobalt LT Coupe and, looking at the underside of the two deck-mounted GM speakers, it seems to me that I might :

(1) remove the mounting nuts

(2) cut-off the mounting bolts flush with the deck

(3) push the heads of the mounting bolts up slightly to clear the thickness of the deck

(4) squeeze [crush] the sides of the speaker basket together [the basket metal appears to be very thin], so as to shrink the circumference of the speaker ring above the deck

(5) pull the speakers down thru the deck hole

(6) install new speakers from below using self-tap screws

Is there something I have overlooked? I am assuming that there are no grills attached to the speaker above the deck.

If some of you have removed these speakers from above, would you please give me some insight here ?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I wouldn't recomend trying to cut them out. its really not as hard to pull out the rear deck as a lot of people mke it out to be. plus then it will look and sound much cleaner

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies so far

I'm looking for the easiest and quickest removal, not the "correct" one

Where is the downside in the method I described? Is there anything above the deck that might be damaged by removing the speakers downward?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would absolutely recommend removing the deck. Get the right tools, and follow the instructions precisely. I haven't read anything about the method you described, and I've never done it... But it seems like it's worth the time removing the rear deck. Only took like an hour, maybe two in total.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks for replies so far

I'm looking for the easiest and quickest removal, not the "correct" one

Where is the downside in the method I described? Is there anything above the deck that might be damaged by removing the speakers downward?
it's gonna be an eyesore and you risk having your speakers rattle

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
rattle, and/or you'd never be able to put a sub in the trunk at least (lots of rattle).

The shop I went to mounted from below for easy swapping, but they used a special harness and dynomatted the whole deal so rattle wouldn't be an issue

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm sorry, but I don't understand why mounting speakers from below would have to cause rattles. Did you notice exactly how they removed the old speakers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changing the rear speakers is challenging, but totally worth it. I used some cheap ~$40 Audiovox I removed the tweeters and used duct tape to cover the hole. I don’t want treble from the back. It’s uncomfortable for rear seat passengers and muddies the sound stage.

The speakers fit tight in the deck. You’ll have to pound out the old ones and the new ones fit as you tighten the screws. Be careful putting the screws in. It’s a bit awkward and it’s easy to damage the speakers.

Before you crimp the last speaker, check the phasing. Run the balance back and forth. If the bass seems less in the middle reverse the leads.

The OE speakers are pretty worthless. My cheap replacements gave me a couple of octaves lower and about 5dB more sound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: "You’ll have to pound out the old ones and the new ones fit as you tighten the screws"

I'm confused by this---did you pull the old speakers down thru the hole or not? And what do you mean by the rest of the sentence ?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
honestly, after re-reading your plan. I think it'd be possible, but you will need to find a way to insulate between the speakers and the metal in the deck (so they do not touch while remaining secure) weather that be dynomat or rubber washers...something.

As long as it comes out looking professional, I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember if it looks like crap, it will hurt your ability (even if only slightly) to resell the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The separation between speakers and the metal deck will be the usual rubber gasket that, I assume, still comes with after-market speakers (it does with the JBLs I intend to use)

There appears to be enough "play" between the OEM speakers and the board deck above them so that I can tilt the "crushed basket" speakers a small amount to assist in removing them (can someone confirm that?)

In any case I will wait for warm weather. If all goes okay I will detail my success. If it doesn't go well, I"ll probably not. Ha!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I can ship you one or both of my stocks if you want to test it on a trash set first. they weigh only a couple onces, so they cant cost much to ship (I was just about to toss them anyway). I'd just ask you make a very thorough DIY write-up! lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate and will accept your offer Stick. One speaker will suffice I believe. When I tried to send you my home address I got a message that I could not send a private message until I have posted at least 10 times. Since I should be at that level soon, I will wait till that happens and then send a message. I will naturally pay the postage or UPS charge. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have two new JBL LC-S960 speakers to install

I will use the Metra GM Speaker Wire Harness Adapter (72-4500) (DW-4500SH)

Can you tell me if the OEM connectors to the speakers need to be squeezed or something to remove them? They resist being removed using medium force.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.