Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you're replacing the ECM, all you would really need the dealer to do is a CASE learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok and as long as i match the number on it (12604760) then that is all they will need to do? here is my problem i can drive my car as long as i disconnect the two ecm harnesses first and then it will run for a while and say reduced engine power and engine disabled. the codes that came up are p0601,p0340 and p0446. the gm dealer charged me a $100 to look at it and all they did was clean the connections. has anyone on here changed their ecm out themselves? do they need to reprogram the keys as well? and would you recommend a chevy shop over a gmc shop in this case?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If the ECM is the same year and for the same engine, then it should be a direct swap. You will need to get the dealer involved for a Case learn unless you know someone with a Tech II.

As far as the ignition, you shouldn't need to change keys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thank you... and from your experience does that sound like a bad ecm? im gonna have them look at it tomorow and if they want to replace the ecm ill just get a hold of a used one

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the ECM the same as the BCM or different? My dealer mechanic is unable to distinguish the symptoms of a bad TCM, BCM or short. They've replaced the TCM, but that didn't fix anything. Now they want to try the BCM, but don't want to refund the TCM. Can a BCM be re-programmed from car to car, or are they "locked" to a specific car? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
IIRC, the BCM is locked to a specific car, but that isn't too hard to flash the proper VIN.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.