Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the plastic engine cover from my 2008 Ecotec for the first time the other night. I noticed it has a foam layer under the plastic. I'm sure Chevy designed this to further insulate the driver from any engine noise.

But doesn't this foam and plastic cover act as a "blanket" too? In winter, I suppose this would be a good thing, to hold in heat and insulate from extreme cold. But in summer, isn't it a bad idea to have a big blanket over your engine? There is already a blanket of insulation under the hood, right?

Any thoughts?

Anyone take their cover off and leave it off?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I removed the plastic engine cover from my 2008 Ecotec for the first time the other night. I noticed it has a foam layer under the plastic. I'm sure Chevy designed this to further insulate the driver from any engine noise.

But doesn't this foam and plastic cover act as a "blanket" too? In winter, I suppose this would be a good thing, to hold in heat and insulate from extreme cold. But in summer, isn't it a bad idea to have a big blanket over your engine? There is already a blanket of insulation under the hood, right?

Any thoughts?

Anyone take their cover off and leave it off?

Thanks.
I ran my cobalt without the cover in both summer(+30 celsius), and winter(-30 celsius), and it was fine

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yeah a good portion of balt owners took that cover off the first day. Its useless other than looks and slightly dulling engine noise. I've had mine off for about 2 years now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hehe, my engine had all kinds of funky weird stains/marks on the metal and stuff but I still opted to go without the cover...

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have mine still but not on just sitting in the garage lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I took mine off because it kept popping the oil cap neck out of the top of the motor. I agree with everyone else, its just a visual thing, serves no other purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.