Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i know a ss engine damper is offered but i have a LS and i would like to put one on my car for obvious reasons. My question is...if i machine a damper it would most likely be a SOLID bar instead of the usuall shock absorber style. What problems could this create...if any at all? or do i have to get a universal shock absorber style and rig it. Under stand i will be installing this on a car with no aftermarket tranny or engine mounts so there should still be some room for movement in the drivetrain. Anyone think this would be a good idea? i guess i never really saw a reason for a shock, i mean if you really want to reduce the engine rocking then i would think a solid rod would be better but i could be wrong. suggestions?

·
Registered
561 Posts
It could cause bad problems...Its a shock cause its designed to minimize movement, not stop it, a solid rod would bend or break the first time you punched it. DO NOT DO THAT!!!! The Ingalls damper aka...The Stiffy, is marketed to the SS, however will fit the 2.2 also.

·
Banned
161 Posts
also save your money buy solid engine mounts.. tq dampers bend.. TRUST ME.

·
Registered
673 Posts
also save your money buy solid engine mounts.. tq dampers bend.. TRUST ME.
I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Even if you just get Prothane trans mounts you are improving the situation greatly. The torque damper is nice, but if you plan on launching hard it will bend. It's happened to probably 100+ SS owners. IMO the torque damper is a band aid, mounts are like stitches because they will fix the issue.

A solid bar is not a great idea, you will get bending and a ton of vibration.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Torque Dampers FTL....better spent on engine mounts and tranny mounts. they are the simplest most effective mod you will ever have....not to mention they're cheap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your opinions, one more question though, my friend uses a chain with little to no slack to eliminate the bending issue but it still does the job by not allowing the engine to move at all. I would think this would be a good alternative because it wouldnt cause as much vibration as a solid bar and it wouldnt be able to bend due to the links. What do u guys think about chaining the engine to act like a dampener. I dont want to buy mounts because i have a lease and i just dont want to go that far with it, i figured a well thought out band aid would be to my advantage. So what would you say to a chain? thanks for the inputs

·
Registered
35 Posts
that sounds like a seriously unsafe idea. My major concern would be if that chain breaks or comes loose while driving. If it hits or wraps around the suspension or takes out the rubber brake line or even get tangled in the serpentine belt that can cause some serious trouble. Not to mention if the chain manages to get away from your car then you have to worry about hitting someone else's car or worse someone else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just be glad you have engine mounts made for yours... f-in' 05s...

·
Registered
257 Posts
a TTR Solid engine mount and trany polly mounts Pw3n torque dampers

TTR Motor Mount on a SS S/C...virtually no movement.

·
Banned
161 Posts
a TTR Solid engine mount and trany polly mounts Pw3n torque dampers

TTR Motor Mount on a SS S/C...virtually no movement.

bwoody trans mounts pwnd ttr solid trans mounts but... ttr engine mounts pwnd bwoody engine mounts.

if you have both you are set

·
Registered
257 Posts
bwoody trans mounts pwnd ttr solid trans mounts but... ttr engine mounts pwnd bwoody engine mounts.

if you have both you are set
^^^I had to read that twice to make it out ROFL:-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.