Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new here. I apologize for the length of my post but I am at my wits end and don't know what to do.
I purchased my Cobalt in Feb. 2005. It had 4 miles on it at the time and I had never had a problem with it. SInce buying it, the dealership I got it from has gone out of business sometime in 2008. I had all my service done at the dealership on a regular basis. So after they closed I got the next oil changed in October 2008, by a friend who does that sort of thing. The last oil change I got was late January of this year at the local Wal-mart. Then a week ago the service engine light came on, the engine made a funny noise and when I turned a corner, it died. I had it towed to the nearest Chevy dealer and they told me the engine was dead and it needed to be replaced. He also told me that in his 15 years of working on cars he had never seen an engine this bad. Now, GM is refusing to honor the powertrain warranty. The car is 4 years old and has less than 34,000 miles on it. How is it possible for the engine to fail like it did? If anyone can offer any kind of advice to help me with this, I would appreciate it more than you know!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
sorry to hear about your cobalt! did the dealership say what the cause of the engine fail was? or did they just say "ive never seen one this bad"? if it was related to the wal mart oil change. id see if i could get that in writing from the dealer, and have a little chat with wal mart. good luck! and i hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the dealership told me that when they towed it in, there was no oil in it at all, I immediatly called Wal-mart and they assured me that they put oil in it, they also told me that the internal oil filter was broken and couldnt replace that. They didnt tell me that until I called them. The dealership I am dealing with is only saying that I need every service record I have for the car. Which to me is ridiculous. How can I never have a problem with it until now and they say it could be because I havent had the oil changed enough. There is less than 34000 which means - according to them having my oil changed at least every 6200 miles means I would have only had to have had 5 oil changes on it since I have owned it. I know I have had at least 6 or 7. I just dont know what I am going to do. Thank you for your encouraging words of support!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
wal marts story sounds kinda fishy to me. especially after hearing they couldnt get the oil filter off. sounds like they broke it and were trying to hide it.and they may have put oil in it, but that doesnt mean the plug was tightened all the way. do you remember how long between oil change and failure was? i think it would be worth talking to a lawyer about. kind of expensive i know. i dont know enough about this sort of thing to be more help. sorry. but once again, best of luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd deffinetly get in writting (from the dealer that has the car)
what the major problem was caused by, (ie. No Oil, stripped drain plug)
I would then go talk to the general manager at the walmart this was done at
and if you get nothing from them about fixing it........
THEN I WOULD GO SEE A LAYWER...........IMEDITALLY !

sure sounds like walmart had a lot to do with your problem ????????
and please don't take your cars their to get lubed !

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
and that is why you keep all your receipts, take the Wal-Mart oil and lube receipt as well as written documentation about the problem to a lawyer, you may become richer than you think

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just as an update, I called GM headquarters in MI and they basically told me the same thing, need more receipts. He also told me that when he talked to the dealer that there was some sort of sludge in the engine, I dont know what that means and that is why they need the receipts. I told him about the dealership closing and he said that they probaly shredded their records. Can they do that? I thought they had to be kept for a certain amount of time by someone. Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice! I am still working on digging through boxes for receipts. I just want my car back!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Records have to be kept for five years for auditing purposes, so they have to be stored somewhere

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
just as an update, I called GM headquarters in MI and they basically told me the same thing, need more receipts. He also told me that when he talked to the dealer that there was some sort of sludge in the engine, I dont know what that means and that is why they need the receipts. I told him about the dealership closing and he said that they probaly shredded their records. Can they do that? I thought they had to be kept for a certain amount of time by someone. Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice! I am still working on digging through boxes for receipts. I just want my car back!
If you got your Cobalt serviced at a dealership the VIN number of your car is used to show servicing. If warranty work is accomplished any dealer can look at the VIN number and see what has been done to your car...I'm not sure if normal servicing is the same but from what you've written so far it appears you are getting the run around. Call a local TV station and see if they could do a story about the troubles you are having getting warranty work...see if the dealership changes their decision if the media comes calling...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So you drove your car around the corner and it died so you had it towed to the dealer. During that tme that you drove it right before it broke down wouldnt you ave noticed the knocking that motor makes when it is low on oil ?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you got your Cobalt serviced at a dealership the VIN number of your car is used to show servicing. If warranty work is accomplished any dealer can look at the VIN number and see what has been done to your car...I'm not sure if normal servicing is the same but from what you've written so far it appears you are getting the run around. Call a local TV station and see if they could do a story about the troubles you are having getting warranty work...see if the dealership changes their decision if the media comes calling...
i did that when i got the runaround too

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's BS that the dealer cannot pull up your VIN and find out what was done to it. If you had the oil changed at the proper miles with a good motor oil and it was done by a GM Dealership then they can pull up the car's VIN and find what was done to it. I would go to the dealer and throw a fit until they stand up and back up the 100,000 mile power train warranty. There is NO REASON to not stand behind that warranty. I wouldn't walk out until they agreed to fix it under warranty. We have several trucks at our shop that have had alot of engine problems and we have had them at 3 different dealers (due to how fast they can get them in) and each dealer just needs the last 8 of the VIN and they can pull up all the work that was done at the other dealerships. Also we haven't spent a dime. One truck had the entire top half replaced and we didn't pay a dime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you drove your car around the corner and it died so you had it towed to the dealer. During that tme that you drove it right before it broke down wouldnt you ave noticed the knocking that motor makes when it is low on oil ?
No, the car ran fine until right before it died, it made a weird noise, the service engine light came on and when I turned the corner it died. Like I said I have never had any problems with the car at all until this, so I don't understand why if there was no oil in it and the mechanics are saying there is some sort of sludge in the engine, why was it running fine before then all of a sudden out of nowhere it dies. It's just very frustrating and I am wondering if taking to a different dealer would make a difference or only make it worse. I am ready to pull my hair out!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Get to the media...and a point you can make is that the engine dosn't have a sensor to warn of low oil pressure -- or no oil pressure -- or no oil!!!!! Even the oil pressure sending unit can be left out (obviously plugged) and it doesn't set a CEL -- this has been confirmed by one SS/SC owner who installed an oil pressure gauge and didn't reuse the factory sending unit, just left the wire unhooked. The factory sending unit is only an on-off switch and the computer doesn't read oil pressure -- which is really ODD considering EVERY other aspect of the engine is monitored to the Nth degree!!!!

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Your engine seized some one didn't change the oil correctly, and it must of all came out. Happened to 1 of my dad's co workers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.