Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out what just happened to my car. I was driving home from work and about to pull onto a state road. There were a lot of cars and I got tired of waiting so the next decent size gap I saw I pulled out and floored it. The car shifted fine into second at about 40 mph, I got up to about 65, foot still planted, and then the engine "hit a wall", or locked up, so to speak, and the RPMs fell, even though my foot was still planted. However, after releasing the gas, and then giving it normal pressure it could accelerate again. I wanted to try and duplicate the problem, so I slowed down to 40, punched it, and again at 60-65 mph it all of sudden did the same thing. Just a sudden loss of power. No check engine light.

I get 5 miles down the road, the engine warmed up now and try to duplicate the problem and couldn't. Tried a few more times and couldn't. Keep in mind that when it happened the car had been running less than 5 minutes, so it wasn't up to temp. I've had to replace the transmission pan gasket twice because it was leaking and had gotten low, so I don't know if it could be transmission related. Does this sound like a slipping transmission?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like you hit the rev limiter because transmission was cold.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.