Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got my 07' cobalt out of the shop after getting a new throttle body replaced. I've been having a world of issues with this car ( as you can read my previous post). So the idle issue and check engine light is still on. But the day after I get it out of the shop with getting the new TB, my oil light comes on n off. After awhile of driving it, it stays on. I check the oil ( which I just had changed a couple hundred miles ago) and its full. My engine is knocking so bad and sounds like there is no oil in it? Would could be my new problem? Oil pump or did the idiots at the shop unplug or did something? Because I had to refill my radiator also because they drained n never refilled it after replacing the TB.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What does draining the radiator have to do with replacing a throttle body? How long did you run it with no coolant?

Something does seem right here? More details please

·
Registered
47 Posts
OOO sounds like you need a New Shop!
And maybe a repair manual, so you can do your homework, before tking it to a repair shop. It helps if you know a little bit about a vehicle, then the shop is not so quick, to stick it to ya!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
How much coolant did you have to add? Did it overheat?

·
Registered
36 Posts
No reason for them to drain coolant to replace throttle body. My guess would be you have a bad head gasket. Coolant drained into oil and engine is now fubarred.
Definitely stop diriving it and get it into a shop.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might be to late if engine knocks.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
If your servicing mechanic was one of our GM dealerships, I am available to follow up with them, if you like. Please let me know!

Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
16 Posts
Engine knock is bad. Most likely a bad bearing (SPUN) on the crankshaft which can happen for several reasons but especially if it ran with no oil or you didn't change the oil over a year and a half (Just kept adding oil as an example) . You get sludge build up, then one of the oil passages gets blocked and the crankshaft or connection rod over heats and spins a bearing.

Now for the news, GM will know when they open up the oil pan if it was due to non oil change or maintenence! Clean inside shows changed oil but if its dark brown or cooked, it shows neglect. You will have to show oil changes (Receipts) by a certified shop, and even then, good luck.

The good news, if the spun bearing is a connecting rod bearing, they can pull the crankshaft, resurface it and put an over sized bearing and replace the connecting rod.

The BAD news, if its a crankshaft journal bearing, well eh, the bearing spinning messes up the engine blocks bearing mating surface on the block and the block must be pulled and probably replaced, new engine.

Happened to one of our work trucks when the guy who had it neglected to change the oil regularly.

The more you drive it the worse it will get and the louder the knock till it gives. I wouldn't start it until you verify if you have oil pressure but by now its probably too late.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I dunno guys, this dude seems to have up and vanished like a fart in the wind, no response since the original post.
^^^^^^^Jajajajajaja no comments? Lol

Jeep grand Cherokee luxury edition 1999 clean and nice run with low oil at a freeway for about 15-20 miles without notice in the dashboard....suddenly stopped overheated. Guess? Lol yeah engine went to the Junkyard lol! Hope is not this guys situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.