Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for some reason my engine light comes on once a month regarding a air sensor or some type of sensor? any help on what that could be on a 2006 cobalt

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
when it comes on get the code read at your nearest auto parts store (autozone,pepboys,advance auto) and let us know the codes so we can further help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when it comes on get the code read at your nearest auto parts store (autozone,pepboys,advance auto) and let us know the codes so we can further help!
Just went to auto zone and they said itsy 02 sensor-I'm getting more air than fuel? He said either its going bad or something wrong with my fuel pump or it just messes up sometimes. He told me there is nothing I need to worry about?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
But did he give you the code number? You might have an exhaust leak at the flex pipe causing an HO2 correlation code. This because all the exhaust that goes by the first Upstream HO2 doesn't pass by the second downstream HO2.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
But did he give you the code number? You might have an exhaust leak at the flex pipe causing an HO2 correlation code. This because all the exhaust that goes by the first Upstream HO2 doesn't pass by the second downstream HO2.
Get that code #, it's like a map to the Holy Grail in car terms. Does your Cobalt make any unusual noises?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The light stop coming on. SWEEETTTTT!!!

---Ill keep the form open for a short while until it pops on again and I catch the code.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my light has finally came back on and I went straight to the auto parts store to get the code as requested.

The code I got was: P0171- mass air flow system.

So what's the tip or advise?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No, that's a system lean code. You might have a leak somewhere in the intake, make sure everything is in place and tight. Do you have original intake?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This is what the GM service manual says to check for in case of P0171. (A little broad don't you think) I like the last one. ( duh! )

• Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections

• Insufficient fuel in the tank

• Low fuel pressure

• Fuel contamination

• Malfunctioning fuel injectors

• Missing, loose, or leaking exhaust components from the HO2S forward

• Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, the throttle body, and the injector O-rings

• The air induction system and the air intake ducts for leaks or for a missing air filter element

• A cracked EVAP canister

• Evaporative pipes obstructed or leaking

• The crankcase ventilation system for leaks

• The HO2S for improper installation and for electrical wires or connectors that may have contacted the exhaust system

• The HO2S signal circuit open, shorted to ground, or shorted to the low reference circuit

• Malfunctioning engine components

If you want to know if you have an exhaust leak and you are by yourself, bring your vehicle passenger side along side a brick building and lower passenger side window. If you have a leak it will echo right back at you.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
P0171, the code that replaced the whale in my nightmares.

I have an aftermarket intake that is that main source of my problem, but a leak in my flex pipe was aggravating it further. Fixing that made my code pop up less frequently. So if your car is louder than normal or otherwise making a funny noise, then the exhaust system is a good place to start looking for a problem. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.