Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine wasn't making this noise a few weeks ago. It sounds like a motorcycle, but the sound is very faint... anyone have an idea what it could be?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It makes it when I drive,and you can hear it easier when I hit the highway. I doubt my camera would even pick up the sound because it's kind of hard to hear, but if you try to listen, you can hear it. I swear I don't remember my engine making this sound before. Maybe it's always been like this, I don't know... I doubt it.

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

it might just be the valve train or something. i wish i knew more about car mechanics.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
My engine wasn't making this noise a few weeks ago. It sounds like a motorcycle, but the sound is very faint... anyone have an idea what it could be?
Good morning TylerTheLoner,

I hope you're able to get some good feedback from the member of the community (unfortunately I'm unable to do much technical advising). If you decide to get this diagnosed at a GM dealership, or if you wanted for me to check into any warranty or recall information for you, please let me know.

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Hey. Well thanks for your response. I took my baby to a mechanic and was told that nothing is wrong with it. I was told that it may have something to do with the cooler weather we're having, but I don't remember hearing this noise before. The check engine light isn't on,which is good. I checked it out for myself as well, but it's all good I suppose. ;-)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
if I could hear the sound I could tell you what it is. Could be an exhaust manifold gasket going out, could be a pulley bearing giving out, or a wheel bearing or a cv joint (which you would only hear while driving, and same with the wheel bearing), it could be a cooling fan motor starting to go, ect. If you could get a short sound clip of it and post it we could have a better idea of diagnosing it for you. :)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Check your Downpipe flexpipe.

[The person below me is weird.]
If you hear it by passenger firewall behind glove compartment and its almost light poof poof poof sound when you're on the gas and goes when you're off then its prob the flex pipe.

Sent from my HTC Desire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Sounds like the cat let go or a heat shield is falling off

Sent from my HTC Desire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine noise

Hi All

Even i had the same issue. We are driving from montreal to toronto and on the way, we heard this noise, like that of a motorcycle. When the engine is idling, there is no such noise. Only when the speed hits 40 km/hour, the noise starts.

And when at 90 km/hr if i stop accelerating, still the noise is there but , as the speed comes down, so the noise.

Took it to canadian tire, as i was also due for oil change. They say, the serpentine belt has cracks and that could be the problem. Oil and serpentine belt were changed , still the noise is there.

The noise is like that of a motor cycle and as the speed increases, the noise goes up. Its a 2007 cobalt LT, with 86000 Km

Any ideas why

regards
bruno

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ That is exactly what my car is doing as well. I took it somewhere and was told it may have something to do with the weather. I don't know... The noise is annoying though and no one seems to know what it is. I drive a 2007 LT as well...

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
bruno,

I hope you get some great insight into this noise concern you're experiencing with your Cobalt from the forum members. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide technical information of that sort, and as you're located in Canada cannot look into this matter myself.

If you had wanted to work with Customer Assistance in conjunction with getting this looked into at your dealership of choice, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey Leveecius.. Mine just started doing the same noise as I drive... I hear your video and it only happens when you accelerate... at first I thought it had to do something with the exhaust but then again I am not a car guy...

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Joe2006!

What year Cobalt are you driving? If you want for me to check into any warranty or recall information for you, I'm happy to do so if you would please provide me the last 8 digits of your VIN.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.