Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter had an 03 Cavalier Ls Sport, which I believe is an L61. Now She has an 05 Cobalt Ls. I think the engines are the same?

The reason I ask is because I have a chance to buy the Cavi (totaled) back from the insurance company cheap like $200 to $300. And the Cavi only had around 70k on it when she was rear ended. So I am trying to decide if I should get it for the engine, and some other stuff.

Any input?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
well what exactly do you need from it? it's going to be slightly different to where none of the exhaust would fit (well?) and the intakes on both cars are on different sides of the engine. i believe the throttle body and intake manifold are different also... there are probably SOME interchangeable parts, but not many. and you would be better off either buying the parts when you need them from the junkyard or buying them online... honestly, i've never had anything go wrong in my cobalt in the 13k miles i've had it. i've also put 2k in aftermarket parts into it. the nice thing about chevy is that the parts are cheap and the cars rarely break down unless you get a lemon. but what i would suggest if you have the time and energy...go to a junkyard or on craigslist to find an engine there. wouldn't cost you much, if anymore than the 300 dollars the insurance company wants for the whole car. but at least this way you know you'll have the right part... now if you find an SS/SC engine, i want it!! hope that kinda helped

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Although they are both L61 engines, there may be certain sensors that are discrepant between the two motors. You could check on ecotecforums since those guys live, eat, sleep and breathe the L61.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, of all the things that could go wrong with a cobalt, the engine exploding isn't one of them. Probably the most reliable part of the car.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Yeah, of all the things that could go wrong with a cobalt, the engine exploding isn't one of them. Probably the most reliable part of the car.
this...

the only thing i'm worried about, honestly, is head gasket. i had to replace mine twice on my corsica (2.2), and twice on my cavalier (2.2).... scary though

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'm pretty convinced i could make my l61 last forever. I've basically floored the hell out of it for 48 thousand miles, and it's still running, better than ever. But I know if i don't chill i'm gonna be re-building an engine soon. but if I had have just economy drove that thing I could get 300k out of it at least.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Usually with the L61, they tend to be very durable as long as you don't try to boost the hell out of it without upgrading the internals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.