Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I wanna get a new car, I'm just having trouble really deciding what I want. I'm keeping the bowtie but I want something faster. Looking through autotrader under SS Chevies, I found many options in my price range. I'm just looking for some personal preference. This probably isn't the best place to ask being a cobalt site but some of you guys have other cars. What do you consider more satisfying, the boosted 2.0 or a traditional V8? I'm not worried about specifics like gas consumption or low end vs. high end blah blah blah. This is just my daily driver, I'm just looking for something faster. I found some pretty sweet relatively low mileage 2008 HHR SS/TC's for nice prices, I also found some trailblazer SS's I'd like. I guess I'm looking for more room too. Anyway, let me know.

·
Registered
803 Posts
trailblazer SS's are nice, and i also loooove the older monte ss's

the hhr tc's have the same LNF that the cobalts do so i'd say set a cobalt ss/tc over a hhr

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Not even a question. Go v8. If none of the ppl here had to worry about $$$ they would all have v8's.4 cyl cars are what you buy when you can't afford the v8.

Ask anyone here, keep the cobalt or you'd buy them a v8 and pay for everything inc gas. They'd all take the v8.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Look for a tahoe if you want suv. Or a silverado/sierra. Go for the 5.3-6L engines.4.8L is lacking hp/tq.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Not even a question. Go v8. If none of the ppl here had to worry about $$$ they would all have v8's.4 cyl cars are what you buy when you can't afford the v8.

Ask anyone here, keep the cobalt or you'd buy them a v8 and pay for everything inc gas. They'd all take the v8.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Look for a tahoe if you want suv. Or a silverado/sierra. Go for the 5.3-6L engines.4.8L is lacking hp/tq.
I personally take more satisfaction with a boosted 4cyl car, and I'd take one of those over a v8 any day, and it's not hard to make a boosted 4 cyl fast, if not faster than the v8's. V8's are nice, don't get me wrong, they just aren't for me. Just look at my past car list:

Cavalier 2.2
Sunbird 2.0T
Cavalier 2.8 and 3.1 (and a 3.4TT)
3 DSM's (all AWD and turbo)
Cobalt SS/TC
Another DSM
Evo

lol

However, if you were to throw a Dodge Cummins 6spd diesel at me, I'd throw a lot away for that lol. I'm all about boosted 4cyl and boosted straight 6 diesels.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you are looking for more room the trail blazer seems to be your best option out of those choices you listed. I've test drove the HHR and wasn't impressed. I thought my Jeep had a small windshield, but holy cow the HHR is small!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys. I used to have an '03 trailblazer LT. I love the 4x4, it's very useful in my area. I could also fit like seven people in it and go to the driveins, that's without third row :toung: The trailblazer SS has always tickled my fancy. From what I understand, they are AWD, not 4x4, but same difference for my application really. Thanks again!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys. I used to have an '03 trailblazer LT. I love the 4x4, it's very useful in my area. I could also fit like seven people in it and go to the driveins, that's without third row :toung: The trailblazer SS has always tickled my fancy. From what I understand, they are AWD, not 4x4, but same difference for my application really. Thanks again!
Not all SS's are AWD. My buddies is only RWD just so you know. :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ford Taurus SHO
Is like a rolling Titanic.

Next car for me will be a '07-'10 BMW M5, '11+ 5.0 Coyote, or throw a little go fast money at the current car...and find a G-Body project.

3.8T in a Grand Natty > Everything here.

:)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
572 in a grand national > everything here :p

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Whatever. My neighbor was racing those and said 11 sec. 1/4's. Definately can beat that with a 2.2 upgraded with turbo.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
For pure power/torque, v8 all the way. I hate saying this, but 4 bangers cannot beat a v8, 2 totally different classes and styles of vehicles. Road course racing? 4 cylinder supercharged with excellent suspension and braking will out perform a boat.

For drag racing, v8's are killers. Personally, I like the F body Camaro z28's, 5.7L and perfect combo would be a pro charger with built internals. I've always said before, if your wheels aren't picking up from the ground on launch, its slow :)

There is no way a 4 banger turbo can outperform a v8 in a 1/4 mile, half the cylinders to begin with. Im not a huge muscle car fanatic, but they have power to begin with especially with today's technology. Then again, 2 totally different classes of vehicles. I would never recommend Honda for a fast straight line car. No torque what so ever. Nissan would be a good idea. Take a 240sx with a titan motorswap, beast there, but that's not JDM at all, Titans are made in the USA, lol.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You have to go stock for stock when you're comparing vehicles. If not then you have to go dollar per hp, in which case v8 almost always wins. $2500 at ford racing will garantee you 350 at the crank. And that's a full engine swap.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Like I said before v8's are killers on the straight away. Best car from production was the 1986 Buick Grand National, ran low 13's stock in 1/4 mile for under $25k. Cant find anything near that today.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
572 in a grand national > everything here :p
Lame.

BBC isn't as fun as going just as fast with half the displacement and a massive turbo with a couple cylinders less. There's a reason most people keep the 3.8T :)

Whatever. My neighbor was racing those and said 11 sec. 1/4's. Definately can beat that with a 2.2 upgraded with turbo.
Oh rly. 11's are like...stock with upped boost and a good tire, lol.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I declare pfff on your lame comment. the 572 makes panties wet, a turbo 3.8 does not.

Basically the rating of a vehicle is 1-wet panties. In order to qualify as wet panties awesome it needs to be judged by a 3rd party. By the way, guys wearing panties do not count.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.